Institute for Plastic Surgery
Our Mission is to offer service, education and research, and is accomplished through individual commitment to service and teamwork. The Institute for Plastic Surgery offers some of the finest facilities and most highly qualified staff in the nation. It is committed to achieving the highest standard of excellence in all areas of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive plastic surgery strives to restore appearance and function for patients with defects resulting from trauma, infection, tumors, burns, birth defects or disease. Cosmetic or aesthetic plastic surgery attempts to improve the patient's appearance.
Created in 1973, the Institute has grown to include an outstanding team of physicians, a thriving residency and fellowship program, an excellent hand surgery and therapy center, and attractive facilities. The Institute is known nationally and internationally for its work in many areas including microsurgery, hand surgery and therapy, reconstructive surgery, aesthetic surgery, and specialized care in the treatment of burns and problem wounds.
The professional staff offers hand and upper extremity rehabilitation, back to work programs, cosmetic counseling, laser surgery and skin care programs. We strive to provide our patients caring and high quality service in a convenient and modern setting.
Plastic Surgery NEWS
- SIU Plastics Residents Bring Home the Awards! Congratulations to Dr. Chelsea Snider. Her abstract paper presentation “New Insights for Botulinum Neuromodulator Targets for Correction of the Nasolabial Fold and Midface Rhytids: An Anatomic Study and Introduction of the Malar Levator Muscle” was selected as one of the top Paper Presentations at Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2016 in Los Angeles. Congratulations also go to Dr. Katherine McKenna Kottwitz. She received 3rd place for her “Implementation of a Standardized, Evidence-Based Protocol for Routine Central Line Replacement to Decrease Catheter-related Blood Stream Infections in High-Risk Burn Patients: A Pre-Post Protocol study” during the SIU GME Resident and Fellow Quality Improvement Poster Competition and Symposium in September. Please be sure to stop and congratulate these award winning residents the next time you see them.
- Beginning July 18 all plastic surgeons will list DMH Physicians Plaza as a clinic rotation.
- Congratulations to Ashim Gupta, PhD, director of the Laboratory for Regenerative Medicine and research assistant professor in the Institute for Plastic Surgery, and Michael Neumeister, MD, FRCS(C), FACS, professor and chair of the Department of Surgery and Elvin G. Zook Endowed Chair of the Institute for Plastic Surgery along with their co-PI SIUE’s Sohyung Cho, PhD, on being the recipients of the FY2016 B Concept Development Award and the inaugural SIUE Concept Commercialization Award.
- Breast cancer 'Super Survivior' planning to get 3D nipple tattoos
- Dr. Nicole Sommer Competes in IRONMAN World Championship