MSIII Surgery Clerkship Suturing and Knot Tying
The MSIII Surgery Clerkship
Basic Suturing and Knot Tying Lab Objectives
- Describe different suture materials and their appropriate applications
- Demonstrate proper technique for handling of basic surgical instruments (needle holder, hemostatic clamps, forceps)
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing simple interrupted, subcuticular, simple running, and vertical mattress suturing
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing one and two handed knot tying
- Demonstrate proper technique for tying around a clamp (both free hand and instrument passes)
Wound Care 101
The MSIII Surgery Clerkship Wound Care 101 Objectives
- Describe the indications and contraindications for abscess incision and drainage.
- Describe the indications for local anesthetic infiltration versus a field block.
- Demonstrate the ability to appropriately anesthetize the area surrounding the abscess.
- Demonstrate the ability to make a wide excision over the abscess and provide appropriate drainage.
- Demonstrate the ability to pack and cover the open wound with appropriate dressing material.