OBJECTIVES: By the end of this module the resident will meet proficiency standards for the performance of:
- Interrupted simple sutures closing an 8 cm wound in a simulated skin model
- Running subcuticular sutures closing an 8 cm wound in a simulated skin model
- Vertical mattress sutures closing an 8 cm wound in a simulated skin model
GUIDELINES FOR PRACTICE
Complete all materials and view the videos in Module 3 of the ACS/APDS Surgical Skills Phase I National Curriculum.
- Using the evaluation tool as a guide, begin practice with focus on the mechanics of instrument handling and hand movement
- Next, practice with focusing on precision of suture placement
- Next, practice with focusing on efficiency and economy of motion
- Consider requesting verification of proficiency when you are able to perform the suturing skill effectively and precisely
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VERIFICATION FOR PROFICIENCY TESTING
When you believe your practice sessions have resulted in proficiency in the three skill areas, you may request to be videotaped for your verification of proficiency evaluation. Once this videotape has been completed, it will be submitted to a faculty member for evaluation. Their decision will either verify your proficiency in this skill or recommend further practice.
Download the full module here