Wound Care 101
The MSIII Surgery Clerkship Wound Care 101 Objectives
- Describe the indications and contraindications for abscess incision and drainage.
- Describe the indications for local anesthetic infiltration versus a field block.
- Demonstrate the ability to appropriately anesthetize the area surrounding the abscess.
- Demonstrate the ability to make a wide excision over the abscess and provide appropriate drainage.
- Demonstrate the ability to pack and cover the open wound with appropriate dressing material.