The mission of ThinkFirst is to prevent brain, spinal cord and other traumatic injuries through education, research and policy.
13th Annual Poinsettia Sale
ThinkFirst conducts an annual holiday plant sale in November/early December to raise money for purchasing bicycle helmets, child safety seats and safety educational materials for children in central Illinois. These beautiful plants are locally grown and make great gifts for family, friends, office staff and home. Download a pdf order form here
FY15 Highlights for SIU School of Medicine ThinkFirst
- Reached 14,091 individuals through 316 programs/events in 36 Illinois counties
- In crash reenactments, special events and 180 ThinkFirst for Teen presentations, more than 11,000 teens heard our injury prevention message
- Received grants from Orthopedic Center of Illinois and Community Foundation of Land of Lincoln
- Started new social media outreach – now on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Other programs included:
- 30 ThinkFirst for Youth (5th – 8th grade) presentations
- 62 children received bicycle helmets
- 19 Victim Impact Panels for DUI offenders
- 16 Child Passenger Safety events, including
- 9 Community Seat Check events
- 33 child safety seats distributed
- 1 child passenger safety technician training course taught
- 13 Health Fairs, Exhibits, or Community Events
- 9 ThinkFirst for Kids (K-3rd grade) programs
ThinkFirst at SIU School of Medicine celebrates 25 Years
Mary Kay Reed, retired SIU SOM faculty member, honored for founding the SIU School of Medicine ThinkFirst chapter and for her 25 years of service to the program.
Click on image to see a larger view
The SIU School of Medicine ThinkFirst team, past and present, received 25 year chapter recognition from Debby Gerhardstein, Executive Director, ThinkFirst National Injury Prevention Foundation.
Click on image to see a larger view
ThinkFirst - Re-Enactment Dates
ThinkFirst programs are award-winning, focusing on those most at risk for brain and spinal cord injuries—especially our youth. Presentations emphasize risk-taking behaviors and consequences, personal vulnerability, and developing good safety habits. Click on image to see a larger view
Injury prevention is the key!
We focus on increasing understanding of
- Potential for injury and the permanent effects of Traumatic Brain Injury /Spinal Cord Injury.
To find out more, click here...
Our educational programs presented by
- Health professionals trained in injury prevention
- VIP speakers (Voices for Injury Prevention)
- See some more of our community involvement photos
Service to the community is an integral part of the mission of SIU School of Medicine. For more than 20 years, SIU School of Medicine Division of Orthopedic Surgery has provided free community education on injury prevention through its ThinkFirst program, reaching over 300,000 people across central and southern Illinois in more than 4,000 presentations. ThinkFirst, SIU School of Medicine is funded entirely through an Injury Prevention grant from the Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Traffic Safety.
For information about other community services available at SIU School of Medicine, click here.
Aspire to Inspire
The Division of Orthopaedics participates in the overall educational mission of the SIU School of Medicine by contributing orthopaedic and rehabilitation medicine expertise to undergraduate, graduate and medical students, as well as offering continuing medical education programs. We inspire and train the experts of tomorrow, through a residency program that draws the highest quality medical students. We provide opportunities and encouragement for faculty, staff, residents and students to advance their careers in this field, while providing an environment supportive of teamwork, communication and collaboration with other individuals and organizations. An evolving research program further enhances our dedication to education and patient care.