- ThinkFirst - SIU School of Medicine is a chapter of the ThinkFirst National Injury Prevention Foundation, sponsored by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
- Started in 1989 by Dr. E. Shannon Stauffer, chair of the SIU School of Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery and Mary Kay Reed, RN, MPA - originally called Risky Business with the goal of preventing injuries through community education about the 'business and consequences of taking risks.'
- Renamed ThinkFirst in 2001, in alignment with ThinkFirst National
- For more than 20 years, ThinkFirst has evolved to include current issues such as impaired and distracted driving,
child passenger safety, TBI (traumatic brain injury) awareness and helmet use.
Nancy Kyrouac, MPH, Director
National Child Passenger Safety Instructor
ThinkFirst for Teens educational speaker
Danny Hicks, Community Affairs Specialist II, VIP speaker
VIP (Voices for Injury Prevention) speaker
National Child Passenger Safety Technician
Victim Impact Panel speaker
ThinkFirst in Illinois
ThinkFirst SIU School of Medicine is one of ten ThinkFirst Illinois chapters. All chapters share the common goal of preventing brain and spinal cord injuries. Please check with the ThinkFirst chapter nearest you.
- Carbondale - NeuroRestorative
- Chicago - NorthShore University Health System
- Crystal Lake- McHenry County Mental Health Board
- Joliet - Provena St Joseph Medical Center
- LaGrange - Spinal Cord Injury Association
- Peoria - OSF St. Francis Medical Center
- Springfield - SIU School of Medicine
- Winfield - Cadence Health
If you’d like to schedule a program, contact us.