Skin Biopsy Specimen
Point and click for more information on a feature.
Features which can be seen in this image include:
- Connective tissue of dermis, with fibers and ground substance.
- Several small blood vessels.
- The individual identities of these vessels as venule, arteriole, or capillary are difficult to determine from this image. Arterioles may often be identified by a thin band of smooth muscle encircling the vessel. In any case a thin endothelial lining clearly distinguishes a vessel from a glandular duct.
- Note that collagen fibers in the perivascular connective tissue are more finely textured than those in surrounding dermis.
- Many small features (such as individual fibroblasts and collagen fibers) are not individually labelled.
Comments and questions: email@example.com
SIUC / School
of Medicine / Anatomy / David
Last updated: 11 December 2007 / dgk