- Note that fibers branch and interconnect.
- Fibers consist of individual cells attached end-to-end.
- Nuclei (one per cell) are centrally located within each cell.
- Intercalated discs are sites of attachment between cells.
- Striations may or may not be conspicuous (not here), depending on stain and plane of section.
Compare and contrast three types of muscle. Click on an image below for a wider view.
Comments and questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
SIUC / School
of Medicine / Anatomy / David
Last updated: 16 December 2003 / dgk