SIU School of Medicine
SIU School of Medicine uses a wireless emergency notification system. In this system, an SIU MED Alert is sent as a message to your cell phone, text pager, and/or your e-mail address.
To subscribe or unsubscribe for SIU MED Alert: https://www.siumed.edu/siumedalert/signup.php
SIU MED Alerts are messages about emergencies. The message may alert you to an emergency situation or ask you to take action or both. Some weather warnings, including flash flood, severe thunderstorm, winter storm, and tornado, also can be sent as an SIU MED Alert. The messages are short.
For more detailed information, see the SIU MED Alert FAQ below.
For questions, contact the School’s Security Office at 217.545.7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU MED Alerts are available to all subscribed SIU students, employees, and residents with an @siumed.edu address and to all individuals who are part of the School of Medicine campus community and register for the School’s SIU MED Alert. Note: All employees and students of SIU School of Medicine receive an @siumed.edu address without charge. Those individuals without an @siumed.edu address must contact the Security Office at 217.545.7777 or send email to email@example.com to register.
Please note that no communication distribution method, including text messaging, is infallible. For that reason, SIU School of Medicine uses redundant systems of emergency communication, including telephone, Internet, e-mail, radio and person-to-person, to distribute news and instructions during an emergency.
SIU MED Alert Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I register?
- While the School of Medicine in Springfield uses a number of distribution methods to notify you of an emergency, using the SIU MED Alert could save you critical time depending upon your location.
- I am located at a non-Springfield School of Medicine location. Should I register?
- If you are regularly on the Springfield campus, you may wish to register for Springfield alerts. If you are regularly on the SIU Carbondale campus, SIUC also has an emergency alert system (http://www.siuc.edu/emergency/wens.html).
- Does registering automatically update my emergency contact information in my student/employee records?
- No. Registering for SIU MED Alerts will not alter the emergency contact information listed in your student or employee records. You must contact Student Affairs, Residency Affairs, or Human Resources to update that information.
- Can I register through SIU MED Alert to receive just an e-mail or just a text message alert?
- Yes, you can register for text messages on your phone(s) or text pagers or for email alerts or for any combination.
- Is there a charge for registering to receive messages through SIU MED Alert?
- This is a service provided by the School of Medicine. However, your cell phone provider may charge you for receiving text messages. Check your service agreement for details. Service costs from your cellular provider are your responsibility.
- Why are you sending a text message and not calling me?
- Attempting to call everyone could take hours. This is important during a time sensitive emergency. SIU MED Alerts will beshort and are meant to make registrants aware that there is an emergency and can direct them to the correct resource or to take a particular action.
- Under what circumstances will I receive a SIU MED Alert?
- SIU MED Alerts are used during emergencies that threaten life safety and/or severely impact normal operations. Additionally, you can also receive warning of flash flood, severe thunderstorm, winter storm, and tornado by signing up for the National Weather Service alerts.
- Will SIU School of Medicine periodically test the system?
- The School of Medicine is planning for regular test messages to verify your subscription to the service and to ensure the system is working properly.
- Will the SIU MED Alert system work if there is a power failure?
- All systems, including email and text message systems, are subject to failure due to emergencies or disasters. While SIU MED Alert is a valuable addition to our existing emergency notification systems, we cannot guarantee that it will work in all emergencies. This is why we try to have redundant systems of emergency communication.
- I don’t want to receive messages anymore.
How do I unsubscribe?
- At any time, you can simply return to the SIU MED Alert Web site and click unsubscribe. Enter the contact information you used to register and then select the unsubscribe box at the bottom of the page.
- How do I update my information if my email address, cell phone number, or pager number has changed?
- If your contact information has changed, follow the instructions above to unsubscribe. Then you must register again with your new contact information.
- Do I need to sign up for a “premium” text messaging service to receive SIU MED Alerts?
- The School of Medicine does not require that you subscribe to a “premium” text messaging service to receive SIU MED Alerts. However, every wireless carrier has a different type of package for text messaging service. If you are concerned about being charged for an SIU MED Alert, please contact your wireless carrier to confirm your text messaging package rates.
- Will my wireless carrier charge me to receive an SIU MED Alert as a text message?
- Most wireless carriers will not place an additional charge for an SIU MED Alert text message. Rather, it will be part of your text messaging package that you subscribed to in your contract. However, every wireless carrier has a different type of package for text messaging service and whether your carrier charges for an SIU MED Alert is up to the carrier, not SIU School of Medicine. If you are concerned about being charged for an SIU MED Alert, please contact your wireless carrier to confirm your text messaging package rates.
- How do I acquire additional information about SIU MED Alert or report a problem with the system?
- Please email any additional questions or report problems to the School’s Security Office at (217) 545-7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.