Flow Cytometry Facility
Welcome to the SIU Medicine Flow Cytometry Facility. We provide acquisition, analysis, and sorting of cells, as well as training and expert consultation for project/experiment planning. We serve SIUM faculty as well as outside customers. The facility has 2 analyzers, 1 sorter, and a multiplex analyzer. To get started, please contact our staff for an appointment or to schedule a consultation.
What is Flow Cytometry?
Flow cytometry is a method of measuring multiple physical and chemical characteristics of single cells or particles as they travel in suspension one by one past a sensing point. Fluorescent probes and antibodies are used to identify and characterize cells or particles. A flow cytometer consists of a light source, collection optics, electronics and a computer to translate signals to data. The light source of choice is a laser which emits coherent light at a specified wavelength. Scattered and emitted fluorescent light is collected by two lenses (one set in front of the light source and one set at right angles) and a series of optics, beam splitters and filters. Specific bands of fluorescence can be measured.
Flow Cytometry can measure physical characteristics such as cell size, shape and internal complexity. Any cell component or function that can be detected by a fluorescent compound can also be examined. There are many applications for flow cytometry, resulting in the extensive use of these instruments within the biological and medical fields
The Flow Cytometry Facility is a fully equipped high speed cell sorting and cell analyzing research laboratory. The facility is equipped with three flow cytometry instruments.
- The Becton-Dickinson FACSAria II high-speed cell sorter, features five air cooled lasers (blue 488nm, yellow-green 561 nm, red 640nm, violet 405nm and UV355nm), multicolor analysis up to 17 parameters and four way sorting. This instrument is housed in a Baker BioProtect-II bio-safety cabinet, which enables sorting of BSL-2 level samples. FACSDiva software is used for acquisition and analysis.
- Single cell sorting into 6, 24, and 96 well plates.
- 1, 2, 3, and 4 way sorting capabilities
- The Becton-Dickinson FACSCalibur benchtop flow cytometer features two lasers (blue 488nm and red 635nm) with four color capability. CellQuest software is used for acquisition and analysis.
- The Becton-Dickinson Accuri C6 bench top trained user operated flow cytometer features two lasers (blue 488nm and red 640nm) with four color capability.
- Bio Rad Luminex-BioPlex Array Reader is a flexible analyzer based on the principles of flow cytometry. The system enables you to multiplex (simultaneously measure) up to 100 analytes in a single microplate well, using very small sample volumes. The system delivers fast and cost-effective bioassay results on many assay formats including nucleic acid assays, receptor-ligand assays, immunoassays and enzymatic assays.
SIUM Flow Cytometry Facility
801 N. Rutledge Street
Springfield, Il 62794-9616
Contact us with any questions or to schedule your flow cytometry appointment.Melissa Roberts, M.T. (ASCP) Assistant Director, Research Core Laboratory
Office: (217) 545-7186 Laboratory: (217) 545-5812