Symposia Jointly Sponsored With Non-Accredited Organization
ACCME-accredited sponsors in good standing may jointly sponsor continuing medical education activities with non-accredited entities. Joint sponsorship and AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ designation by the SIU School of Medicine for educational activities requires approval by the Office of Continuing Professional Development (OCPD) and the CPD committee. The full-time SIU School of Medicine faculty member who serves as the liaison with the non-accredited organization must be fully cognizant of the requirements and responsibilities that joint sponsorship entails.
The SIU School of Medicine will consider joint providership of CPD activities with non-accredited organizations when the following guidelines are met:
- The educational activity is consistent with the mission of the Office of CPD at SIU School of Medicine.
- There is no other ACCME-accredited sponsor involved in the development and planning for the activity.
- The activity adheres to all ACCME elements and Standards for Commercial Support.
- The activity adheres to all policies and procedures of the Office of CPD, the SIU School of Medicine, and the State of Illinois.
- Unless other arrangements are made, full responsibility for the CPD activity, including educational content, financial oversight, meeting planning, and staffing is assumed by SIU School of Medicine.
- The educational partner is deemed to be appropriate.SIU School of Medicine selects joint sponsors based on local and regional relationships, resources, and organizational mission.Joint sponsors are approved by the OCPD staff and/or CPD Committee using the following criteria:
- Joint sponsorship is limited to organizations with which the School of Medicine has an educational or service relationship.
- Joint sponsorship is limited to hospitals, professional societies, and government and social service agencies.
- The SIU School of Medicine does not jointly sponsor activities with communication companies, for-profit organizations or ACCME-defined commercial interests.
- A full-time SIU School of Medicine faculty member must serve as the course director or co-director and liaison between the professional society/organization and the SIU School of Medicine. The course director must complete the application for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ and submit it to the Office of CPD at least 4 months before the activity.
- A full-time SIU School of Medicine faculty member and a staff member from the Office of CPD must be integrally involved in the following aspects of planning and implementation of the activity:
- Needs Assessment
- Development of educational objectives
- Educational design/curriculum planning
- Identification of faculty
- Requests for commercial support
- Management of commercial support funds
- Budget planning and development
- Promotional plan and implementation \
3, The activity must adhere to all University policies and procedures including procurement, travel guidelines, and payment of speaker honoraria and expenses.
4. A staff member from the SIU School of Medicine Office of CPD must be onsite for all jointly provided CME activities. Expenses for staff travel will be billed to the conference account.
The Office of Continuing Professional Development must approve all promotional materials before they are printed and/or distributed. Promotional materials, whether print or electronic, must include:
- Statement of joint providership
- SIU SOM Accreditation Statement
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ statement (and other credit statements, as needed)
- Objectives or content highlights
- Course faculty and course director, including titles and affiliations
- Program data, time, and location
- A description of the intended audience
- A full statement of commercial support, if any
- Disclosure statement
The following credit statement must appear, in its entirety, on brochures and other promotional materials. Unauthorized use of either the SIU School of Medicine logo or the credit statement is prohibited.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and standards of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and __________________. The Southern Illinois University School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Southern Illinois University School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of ___ AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
All financial support from ACCME-defined commercial interests should be listed on promotional materials.
In addition, the following disclosure statement should be included on the promotional material(s):
It is the policy of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine that the speaker and provider disclose real or apparent conflicts of interest relating to the topics of this educational activity, and also disclose discussions of unlabeled/unapproved uses of drugs or devices during their presentation(s). The SIU School of Medicine Office of CPD has established policies in place that will identify and resolve all conflicts of interest prior to this educational activity. Detailed disclosure will be made in the activity handout materials or announced at the beginning of the activity.
All promotional materials must follow ACCME guidelines governing advertisements.
Correspondence with ACCME-defined commercial interests
All correspondence soliciting commercial support must be approved by the Director of CPD. All commercial supporters must sign a Letter of Agreement with SIU School of Medicine, in compliance with ACCME Standards for Commercial Support.
All individuals in a position to control content of the activity must complete a Conflict of Interest and Attestation form. This includes planning committee members, speakers, panelists, and moderators. Any potential conflict of interest that is identified must be resolved prior to the educational activity. A summary of all disclosures must be disclosed to the learners by listing faculty disclosures in the course syllabus or by making a statement from the podium.
The administrative fee for jointly-provided programs will be based on the level of staff time required. Factors will include number of expected attendees, duration and location of the meeting, as well as number of special events to be arranged. There will be an additional charge, based on a sliding scale by number of attendees, for processing and maintaining CME records.
Any activity expenses incurred by the Office of CPD, including, but not limited to, brochure production, faculty honoraria and travel, hotel and catering, audiovisual, and CPD staff travel, will be charged to the activity budget.
Any exceptions to the above guidelines must be approved by the Director of CPD and/or the CPD Committee.
Revised July, 2016