Medical Students Training with Local Physicians (September 2020)
Family physicians in several Illinois communities are hosting students from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine throughout September. The students are participating in the school’s Family Medicine Preceptorship Program.
The experience provides an opportunity for students to use their medical knowledge in a clinic setting under the supervision of an experienced physician. The students choose from more than 160 family practice physicians in Illinois for their preceptorship experience. They will graduate from medical school in May 2022, then pursue advanced training in a specific area of medicine before beginning practice. Since 1981, 2,712 students have participated in the program, which is offered by the school’s Department of Family and Community Medicine.
The mission of SIU School of Medicine is to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. SIU Medicine, the health care practice of the school of medicine, includes clinics and offices with more than 300 providers caring for patients throughout the region. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois. Since 1975, 3,024 physicians have earned SIU medical degrees. For information, call SIU Medicine’s main number, 217-545-8000, or visit www.siumed.edu.
- Maryam Bakare, daughter of Fatai Bakare of Chicago and Linda Carre of Sauk Village, is the guest of Jeffrey Long, MD, with the Medical Group of Kankakee County in Herscher.
- Robert Gause-Wills, son of Therman and Brenda Wills of Lansing, Michigan, is the guest of the Quincy Family Medicine Residency Program.
- Lauren Hall, daughter of George and Patti Hall of LaSalle, is the guest of Mary Chinn, MD, of MCH Washington Street Clinic in Mendota.
- Jordyn Huston, daughter of Michael and Lisa Huston of Newton, is the guest of Brian Atwood, MD, at Atwood Medical in Olney.
- Jasmine James, daughter of Jo Ann Matory of Carmel, Indiana, is the guest of Judith Weis, MD, with Rural Family Medicine Associates in Mascoutah.
- Emilie Lohman Irwin, spouse of Owen Irwin and daughter of Michael and Deanna Lohman of Springfield, is the guest of Solmaz Bauk, MD, at Springfield Clinic Family Practice Center.
- Khloe Sandercock, daughter of David and Kelle Sandercock of Springfield, is the guest of Decatur Family Medicine’s Residency Program.
- Elizabeth Wieland, daughter of Steven Wieland and Katherine Montford, both of Rock Island, is the guest of SIU Carbondale Family Medicine’s Residency Program.
Note: Pictures of the students are available upon request from email@example.com.
The mission of SIU School of Medicine is to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. SIU Medicine, the health care practice of the school of medicine, includes clinics and offices with more than 300 providers caring for patients throughout the region.