Medical Students Training with Local Physicians
February 3, 2021
Family physicians in several Illinois communities are hosting students from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine through February 26. The students are participating in the school’s Family Medicine Preceptorship Program.
This experience provides an opportunity for students to use their medical knowledge in a clinic setting under the supervision of a seasoned physician. The students choose from more than 160 family practice physicians in Illinois for their preceptorship service. They will graduate from medical school in May 2022, then pursue advanced training in a specific area of medicine before beginning practice. Since 1981, 2,756 students have participated in the program, which is offered by the school’s Department of Family and Community Medicine.
The mission of SIU School of Medicine is to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. SIU Medicine, the health care practice of the school of medicine, includes clinics and offices with more than 300 providers caring for patients throughout the region. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois. Since 1975, 3,024 physicians have earned SIU medical degrees. For information, call SIU Medicine’s main number, 217-545-8000, or visit siumed.edu.
- Paul Cacioppo, son of Christopher and Hong Cacioppo of Collinsville, is the guest of Patrick Zimmermann, MD, at Family Medicine Associates in Collinsville.
- Jasmine Davila, daughter of Jose and Eva Davila of Moline, is the guest of James Petre, MD, with Stone Ridge Medical Group in East Moline.
- Sierra Higginson, daughter of Greg Higginson of Weldon Spring, Mo., and Debbie Grider of Oreana, is the guest of Marcia Hauter, MD, in Lincoln.
- Paige Kannall, daughter of Robert Kannall and Hilary and Bryan Chasteen, all of Highland, is the guest of SIU Center for Family Medicine in Quincy.
- Haley Plattner, daughter of Darren and Sue Plattner of Champaign, is the guest of Matthew McMillin, MD, with Atrium Family Medicine in Peoria.
- Alyssa Ray, daughter of Steve and Stephanie Ray of Moline, is the guest of Christopher Martinek, MD, with Springfield Clinic Wabash.
Note: Pictures of the students are available upon request from email@example.com.