Medical students training with local physicians
SPRINGFIELD, IL - Family physicians in several Illinois communities are hosting students from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine throughout July. The students are participating in the school’s Family Medicine Preceptorship Program.
The experience provides an opportunity for students to use their medical knowledge in a clinic setting under the supervision of an experienced physician. The students choose from more than 160 family practice physicians in Illinois for their preceptorship experience. They will graduate from medical school in May 2022, then pursue advanced training in a specific area of medicine before beginning practice. Since 1981, 2,704 students have participated in the program, which is offered by the school’s Department of Family and Community Medicine.
The mission of SIU School of Medicine is to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. SIU Medicine, the health care practice of the school of medicine, includes clinics and offices with more than 300 providers caring for patients throughout the region. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois. Since 1975, 3,024 physicians have earned SIU medical degrees. For information, call SIU Medicine’s main number, 217-545-8000, or visit www.siumed.edu.
- Dominic Aiello, son of Joseph and Mary Aiello of Springfield, is the guest of Walter Cunnington, MD, at the Community Medical Clinic of Pana.
- Zachary Andersen, son of Mary and Chris Kieffer of Princeton, and Curt Andersen and Angie DiCiro of Pembroke, Ga., is the guest of Mary Chinn, MD, of MCH Washington Street Clinic in Mendota.
- Quentin Guillory is the guest of Solmaz Bauk, MD, at the Springfield Clinic Family Practice Center.
- Rachel Karras, daughter of Peter and Victoria Karras of Sherman, is the guest of Amir Wahab, MD, at MPS Family Medical Center in Lincoln.
- Varun Pilla, son of Venkata and Phaneendra Pilla of Crystal Lake, is the guest of Robert Bevill, MD, with Eagle Family Medicine in Peoria.
- Cole Pliura, son of Tom and Pam Pliura of LeRoy, is the guest of Richard Ginnetti, MD, at OSFMG St. Joseph Drive Family Practice in Bloomington.
- John Rego, son of Francisco Rego of Key West, Fla., and Jana Heins of Lexington, SC, is the guest of Matthew McMillin, MD, with Atrium Family Medicine in Peoria.
- Elek Wellman, son of Dan and Kris Wellman of Sherman, is the guest of Christopher Martinek, MD, at Springfield Clinic Wabash.
Pictures of the students are available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org.