Visiting Residents From Outside Programs
RESIDENTS FROM OUTSIDE PROGRAM COMING TO SIU FOR ELECTIVE OR REQUIRED ROTATIONS
- The SIU Program Director must send a letter of request to the Office of Residency Affairs at least 45 days prior to the start date of the rotation (90days if the resident does not already hold an Illinois license). The letter must include: 1) Dates the resident will be at SIU and 2) Description of the rotation experience. 3) The SIU Program Director must provide documentation of approval of rotation from resident’s home Program Director.
- The visiting resident must be licensed by the State of Illinois. The licensure application must be in the Office of Residency Affairs at least 2 ½ months prior to the rotation in order to secure licensure in time for the elective/rotation.
- The Office of Residency Affairs will seek approval for the rotation from Memorial Medical Center and St. John’s Hospital.
- The resident’s credentials must be approved by Memorial Medical Center and St. John’s Hospital and should be submitted 45 days in advance to the Office of Residency Affairs. If the visiting resident will only be training at one of the hospitals (i.e. St. John’s NICU), the credentials may only be sent to the appropriate hospital for approval. The credentials include: 1) Application for residency; 2) Dean’s Letter; 3) Letter from the resident’s Program Director stating that he/she is in good standing in the home program.
- The SIU program must provide the Office of Residency Affairs a letter from the home hospital stating that they will continue the resident’s stipend, benefits, and liability insurance.
- Because both St. John’s Hospital and Memorial Medical Center are over their “cap” of funded residents, neither will reimburse the stipends benefits or liability insurance for a visiting resident on an approved rotation except under extraordinary circumstances.
Note: Items # 1 and 2 are applicable to all programs. Items #3-6 apply to Springfield-based programs. Affiliate sites should follow their local procedures for credentialing and negotiation of stipend, benefits and liability insurance.
For the purposes of this policy, Affiliate-based SIU residents who are not employed by SJH or MMC coming to Springfield are considered to be from an outside program (hospital).
Last Approval Date: December 16, 2016
Effective Date: December 16, 2016