You are here

Union Information

How do I know if a vacancy is represented by a union?

Each individual Civil Service vacancy posted on our website indicates whether or not the position is represented and, if so, by which union.

What unions currently have bargaining agreements with SIU School of Medicine?

Currently, the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE), Local 399, represent approximately 40 Civil Service employees in the engineering and service/maintenance areas. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Local 370, represents approximately 690 Civil Service employees in other areas of employment. The Teamsters, Local 916, represents approximately 7 Civil Service employees in the security area.

If I am hired into a represented position, how much will come out of my paycheck for union fees?

Union dues or Fair Share fees are deducted twice per month.  For employees that are paid on a bi-weekly basis, there is the occassion for a third pay period to exist in the month.  During these pay periods, union dues / fees are not deducted.  Fees are based upon the number of hours an employee is hired to work per week.


- Member, Dues

  • $21.69 - 20 or more hours per week
  • $16.30- more than 12, less than 20 hours per week
  • $10.98 - fewer than 12 hours per week

- Non-Member, Fair Share

  • $15.18 - 20 or more hours per week
  • $11.41 - more than 12, less than 20 hours per week
  • $7.68 - fewer than 12 hours per week


- Member, Dues/Fair Share

  • Hourly rate increased by 1.0%


- Member, Dues/Fair Share

  • Equivalent of 1 hour's pay per paycheck


– Member, Dues

  • Hourly rate x 2.5

NOTE:  Click on the union name to view a PDF copy of the current agreement.

What is "Fair Share"?

Collective bargaining agreements may include a provision requiring employees covered by the agreement who are not members of the union to pay to the union a fair share fee for services rendered. This fee would be deducted from the employee's paycheck whether the employee endorses or opposes the union. Generally, unions determine that 90-100% of the dues is the fair share amount (which, in accordance with the law, may not exceed the dues). The only exception to this requirement is where the employee has a bona fide religious objection to the fair share fee. In such cases, the employee would be required to pay an amount equal to the fair share to an agreed upon non-religious charitable organization.