Beau Batton, MD
Dr. Beau Batton is the Chief of the Neonatology division of Pediatrics at SIU School of Medicine, and the Director of Newborn Services at HSHS St. John's Children's Hospital. Dr. Batton earned his medical degree at Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University, in Maywood Illinois. He went on to do an internship and his residency at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, and his fellowship in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. He joined SIU School of Medicine in 2008 and continues to serve as an associate professor in addition to his clinical obligations, and has contributed to Neonatology's four Teaching Service of the Year awards (2009, 2011, 2013, 2016). Dr. Batton's publications include works on blood pressure management and neurodevelopment in extremely preterm infants, in utero anti-depressant exposure and neurodevelopment in preterm infants, and perspectives of physician parents in the neonatal ICU. In his off hours, Dr. Batton is the current chair of the Illinois Department Public Health Perinatal Advisory Committee, a member of the International Neonatal Consortium Hemodynamic Adaptations Workgroup, and is very involved in the March of Dimes Perinatal Collaborative Leadership Council, and Ronald McDonald House Charities.
- Prospective Observational Study of Heart Rate Variability Monitoring in Preterm Infants. $15,000. Role: Principal Investigator; 2012 Southern Illinois University SOM Research Seed Grant.
- Cerebral Oxygenation and Autoregulation in Preterm Infants: Association with Morbidity and Mortality. $7,800. Role: Principal Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM; Covidien.
- Phase Ib/IIa Randomized, Placebo Controlled Study of the Safety & Efficacy of Once Daily Dosing of STP206 in Premature Very Low Birth Weight & Extremely Low Birth Weight Neonates. $81,031. Role: Principal Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM; Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals.
- AztraSeneca Pharmaceuticals. $5,000. Co-Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM.
- HSHS St. John’s Foundation. Home Nursing Intervention for Very Preterm Infants. $200,000. Role: Principal Investigator and Project Director.