Nitin Patel, MD
Nitin C. Patel M.D., is a Professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Neurology at SIU School of Medicine and a member of the SIU HealthCare group practice. Dr. Patel earned his medical degree Jabalpur University Government Medical College, Jabalpur, India. He has an MPH in Public Health, Environmental Health and Epidemiology from Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California. He completed a Pediatric Externship at St. John’s Hosp in Brooklyn, New York, and his Pediatric Residency at New York Medical College, Lincoln Program Bronx, NY. Dr. Patel completed fellowships in Pediatric Neurology and Epilepsy at UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School Program Newark, New Jersey.
- Gabapentin Treatment for Partial Complex Seizures in Children. Description: This was a double blind study using Gabapentin for children between the ages of 1 month and 36 months with partial complex seizures. The study was extended to 48 months as an open label study. Granting Agency: Park Davis Company. Years: 1998-1999
- An Open-Label, Un-controlled , Long-Term Study to Assess the Safety of Lamictal in Pediatric Subjects Previously Enrolled in Protocol LAM2006 and in Lamictal-naive Subjects (1-24 months of age) Description: This is an international, multi-center study using an uncontrolled open-label design to investigate the long-term safety of Lamictal in subjects (age 1-24 months) who have not received previous treatment with Lamictal. Granting Agency: GlaxoSmithKline. Year: 2005
- An Assessment of Behavioral Changes Associated with Lamotrigine and Levetiracetam in Patients with Epilepsy-LAM40124 Description: This study will prospectvely compare in a randomized, double-blind setting, the change in behavior, specifically anger, irritability and hostility in patients with epilepsy after receiving lamotrigine and levetiracetam. A secondary objective will be to compare the safety and tolerability of lamotrigine and levetiracetam as adjunctive therapy in subjects with partial seizures. Granting Agency: GlaxoSmithKline. Year: 2005.
- Phase III Pediatric Epilepsy Feasibility, Trial number: TOPMAT-PEP-3001. Description: This study is a randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Fixed Dose-ranging Study to Assess the Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy of Topiramate as Adjunctive Therapy for Infants with Refractory Partial and Clinically Generalized Epilepsy. Granting Agency: Ortho-McNeil. Year: 2005.
- A Randomized, Open-Label, Multicenter Study With Open-Label Extension of the Pharmokinetics and Safety of Topiramate Administered as the Oral Liquid and Sprinkle Formaulations as an Adjunct to Concurrent Anticonvulsant Therapy in Therapy in Infants (Aged 1 to 23 Months, Inclusive) With Refractory Partial-Onset Seizures. Granting Agency: Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Research & Development, L.L.C. Year: 2005.
- Long-Term, Open-Label Safety Study of Oral Almotriptan Malate 12.5 mg in the Treatment of Migraine in Adolescents. Description: This is an open-label, multi-center study of approximately 450 adolescent subjects with a diagnosis of migraine headaches. The study consists of two phases: screening and open-label treatment. Subjects will treat all migraine headaches or attacks with almotriptan 12.5 mg. Granting Agency: Omnicare Clinical Research for Ortho-McNeil. Year: 2005
- A Double-Blind Trial Comparing the Efficacy, Tolerability and Safety of Monotherapy Topiramate versus Phenytoin in Subjects with Seizures Indicative of New Onset Epilepsy. Trial Number CAPSS-272. Granting Agency: Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc. Year: 2006.
- Lacosamide Monotherapy SP902. Description: To assess the efficacy and safety of conversion to lacosamide 400mg/day monotherapy in subjects with partial-onset seizures. Granting Agency: Schwarz BioSciences. Year: 2009.
- A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Parellel-group Study with an Open Label Extension Phase to Evaluate the Effect of Perampanel (2007) on Cognition, Growth, Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics When Administered as an Adjunctive Therapy in Adolescents (12 to less than 18 years of age) With Inadequately Controlled Partial-onset Seizures.” Granting Agency: Eisai, Inc and PPD. Year: 2010.
- No. 13099A, phase 3 study, Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple dose study of Sabril (Vigabatrin) in pediatric patients with refractory complex partial seizures. Granting Agency: Eisai, Inc and PPD. Year: 2011.
- An Open-label Pilot Study with an Extension Phase to Evaluate the Pharmacokinetics and to Generate Preliminary Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Perampanel (E2007) Oral suspension When Given as an Adjunctive Therapy in Pediatric Subjects From 2 to Less Than 12 Years of Age With Epilepsy STUDY NUMBER: E2007-G000-232. Granting Agency: Eisai, Inc. And PPD. Year: 2012.
- A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, 4-Armed Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy of Zolmitriptan 0.5-, 2.5- and 5-mg Nasal Spray in the Treatment of Acute Migraine Headache in Adolescents Project #1202812. Granting Agency: Astra Zeneca.