Health Care Providers Invited to Learn About Immune Cancer Therapy, HPV
“Collaborating Against Cancer” is the theme of the 16th Annual Simmons Cancer Institute (SCI) Symposium, scheduled for 8:25 am-3 pm, Friday, September 22, at the Memorial Center for Leaning and Innovation (MCLI), 228 W. Miller St., Springfield.. The conference for physicians and health care professionals interested in the care of cancer patients is sponsored by SCI at Southern Illinois University (SIU) School of Medicine. “Genetics in Breast Cancer,” is the first session. Meghna Desai, MD, associate professor of internal medicine at SIU, will discuss BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 mutations in hereditary breast cancers. Other sessions include:
- “Updates in Immune Cancer Therapy,” by Sherjeel Sana, MD, assistant professor of internal medicine
- “Update on Management of Venous Thromboembolism in Cancer Patients,” by Swathi Pathak, MD, assistant professor of internal medicine
- “Current Topics: Access to Oncology Care,” by Sabha Ganai, MD, PhD, assistant professor of surgery
- “Update on Cancer Screening Guidelines,” by Tracy Aldridge, MD, associate professor of family and community medicine
- “HPV: Reducing Missed Clinical Opportunities,” a discussion about the prevention, screening, early detection and management of HPV associated cancer by Careyana Brenham, MD, associate professor of family and community medicine
SIU physicians Meghna Desai, MD, associate professor of internal medicine and Wendi Willis El-Amin, MD, associate dean for equity, diversity and inclusion and associate professor of family and community medicine, are course co-directors of the symposium. To learn more or to register, visit siumed.edu/cpd.
The mission of Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU is to serve the people of central and southern Illinois by addressing their present and future cancer needs through education, biomedical research, patient care and community service.
Note to Media: Media interviews can best be arranged during the break at 10 am or during the lunch break at 12:20 pm. To arrange interviews, please call Cindy Davidsmeyer at 217-545-3837 weekdays, or at 217-248-3336 on the day of the event.
Schedule an interview or request more information by contacting SIU Medicine's Office of Public Relations and Communications: