Student Medical Insurance Plan - For complete information about your medical insurance coverage, visit the Student Health Programs web site. If you need to use the insurance part of your healthcare including for prescriptions, you will need to print an insurance card from the SIU-C website.
Springfield Medical Students:
Medical students located in Springfield should contact the SIU Center for Family and Community Medicine (SIUMED FCM) in Springfield. Dr. Rachel Rahman and Dr. Ankit Sharma are the designated med student doctors. For appointments contact the call center at (217) 545-8000. For billing questions contact Robin McCabe at (217) 757-8123.
SIU Center for Family and Community Medicine:
520 North 4th Street
Springfield, IL 62704
Schedule Appointments: (217) 545-8000
Triage Nurse for questions not related to regular scheduling or billing - Michaela Blackburn 747-1371
Hours: Mon. to Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday to 6:30 p.m.
After hours - call the answering service (217) 545-8000 and ask for the FCM doctor on call
Student Medical Benefit Extended Care Fee Refund
If you are covered by another insurance carrier and you desire a refund of the Student Medical Benefit Extended Care fee, application for a refund must be made during the first two weeks of Fall semester and Spring semester. Application must be made EACH semester that a refund is desired. However, if you are covered by another insurance carrier, maintaining the SIUC Student Medical Extended Care Plan may further reduce costs of claims to you.
Springfield Student Health Insurance
In Springfield, the SIUMED FCM clinic is your primary care provider. It functions just like the Student Health Center in Carbondale.
Medical students pay two fees for healthcare. The first fee covers your primary care, including labs and simple x-rays. The second fee covers referrals, ER visits and more expensive tests. The second fee (extended care fee) may be refundable if you show proof of other insurance coverage.
Primary Care: Dr. Ankit Sharma and Dr. Rachel Rahman are your primary contacts at SIUMED FCM. Dr. Careyana Brenham is the Director. To schedule an appointment call 545-8000, and be sure to identify yourself as a medical student. You should not be evaluated by another student or resident unless you waive that right. You will have to pay the co-pay of $6.00 to go to SIUMED FCM.
If a provider orders labs or simple x-rays, you should get these at Memorial Medical Center, and show them your SIU-SOM Student photo ID.
Specialty Care, ER Visits and Expensive Tests: In order to have any of these paid for, you must have prior approval from SIUMED FCM. If approved, there is a $100.00 per year deductible you must pay. After that, your insurance will cover 80% of the agreed cost. You will be responsible for the remaining 20%. All bills should be directed to SIUMED FCM--NOT Aetna.
Needle Sticks & Blood Borne Pathogens Exposure
During work hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., immediately call the ID Nurse at 217-545-8970, pager #217-492-2446, located at MMC in Room A474. After hours, weekends or holidays call the SIU Answering Service at 545-5880 and have them page the ID physician on call.
The following exposure forms also need to be completed:
Mental Health Counseling
Ginny Zahrn is retiring 10/17/17. SIU Behavioral/Mental Health Service at SIU-FCM - LCSW Kyle Kovski is available for both mental health counseling. Other providers will also be available soon. Dr. Constance, Dr. Rahmen, and Dr. Sharma are all available depending on your comfort level to assist you in accessing mental health providers. You may schedule an appointment by calling 217-545-8000.
Springfield students may send prescriptions to the SIU Carbondale Pharmacy to be filled. Include: your name, address, DOB, student ID number (aka SS#), phone number, known drug allergies, and that the prescription is for a Springfield School of Medicine student. Your FCM provider may also fax or call prescriptions to Carbondale at the time of visit.
Student prescriptions can be mailed to: Student Health Program Pharmacy, 374 East Grand Avenue, Carbondale IL 62901-6802. Students may call Sue Chaney (618) 453-4417 for refills on established prescriptions and also to inquire about the cost. However, once the script is sent and filled you may not return it. Pharmacy ships via UPS on Monday afternoon weekly to Springfield Office of Student Affairs and distributed confidentially to the student.
If you have the extended care plan, you can print your insurance card and use it for prescription coverage. There is no prescription coverage for students not on the extended plan.
Remember that Walmart and Target stores will fill many generic prescriptions for $4.00. Meijer stores will fill some antibiotic prescriptions for free.
SIUMED Infection Control Policies
Student Medical Insurance Plan Office
Student Health Center
374 East Grand Avenue, 2nd Floor
Carbondale, IL 62901-6802