How to Apply
FEDERAL SCHOOL CODE:
Eligibility: A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which uses a standard need analysis formula to calculate financial aid eligibility, must be completed each year. An expected family contribution (EFC) is calculated for each student based on their income, net worth, resources, family size, the number of family members attending post-secondary education and other factors. Financial aid is "packaged" as a combination of loans and, if applicable, scholarships to meet the financial need.
Application Procedures: To apply for financial aid at SIU School of Medicine, a FAFSA must be completed each year.
- The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible beginning October 1.
- Students must submit a copy of their Student Aid Report (SAR) via email, fax, or mail to the Financial Aid Office in Springfield.
- Students who are applying for financial aid for the first time at SIU School of Medicine are also required to complete our Financial Aid Institutional Application (sent in their "welcome" email).
- Students who have applied for aid during the previous year should complete a Renewal FAFSA.
- You can view information about federal loans you have received in the past at www.nslds.ed.gov.
- The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created user name and password, replaced the "PIN" in 2015. It allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid websites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA.
Application Results and Changes: A Student Aid Report is provided to the student when the FAFSA is processed. The SAR should be reviewed for accuracy and completeness. If the SAR has errors, or you did not list SIU School of Medicine (SIUSM) as a school choice, electronic corrections are made at the FAFSA website by using the PIN/FSA ID and the Make Corrections link. When a corrected SAR is received, the student should retain it for his/her records, and forward a copy to the financial aid office at the school.
Electronic Connection: Additional financial aid information is available from our web site. You can obtain specific information about your financial aid on SalukiNet. If you have questions and want to discuss your financial aid further, our office can be contacted via email or by calling 217-545-2223.