The Department of Surgery's core mission to improve the quality of surgical health care through clinical practice research and education to our service area population.
As clinicians, educators and researchers - we strive to foster a rich environment for our patients, students and staff.
Located in Illinois' Capitol City, with outreach clinics throughout the state, our program has eight divisions, comprised of over 140 award winning faculty and resident physicians.
We are an emerging program, with roots and steep lineage in innovation and quality.
The SIU Surgery Program:
- SIU General surgeons have advanced the care of patients through minimally invasive endoscopic surgery, with emerging programs in bariatrics and hernia revision
- SIU Orthopaedics has led the nation in outcome studies and quality measures for orthopedic related surgeries including major joint replacement and sports medicine.
- SIU Otolaryngology faculty are national leaders in tinnitus and voice related surgeries.
- SIU Neurosurgeons are world experts in brain tumors and deep brain stimulation.
- SIU Cardiothoracic surgeons are known internationally for our volume reduction surgical expertise.
- SIU Vascular surgeons are broadly recognized as the leaders in endovascular interventions for the last decade.
- SIU Emergency medicine physicians are leaders in clinical simulation
- SIU Institute for Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized as one of the premiere hand and microvascular re- and transplant programs.
- SIU Educational Events - Click for more information
- SIU Otolaryngology conducting Tinnitus study more...
- Breast cancer 'Super Survivor' planning to get 3D nipple tattoos
- Dr. Nicole Sommer Competes in IRONMAN World Championship
- Mimi Covert Memorial Lecture more...
- New law to help ease financial worry for burn victims
- SIU Med School to Launch Neuroscience Institute
- ‘Denim & Diamonds’ Cancer Institute Fundraiser Celebrates 15th Anniversary