- ThinkFirst - SIU School of Medicine is a chapter of the ThinkFirst National Injury Prevention Foundation, sponsored by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS).
- Started in 1989 by Dr. E. Shannon Stauffer, chair of the SIU School of Medicine Orthopaedic Surgery and Mary Kay Reed, RN, MPA - originally called Risky Business with the goal of preventing injuries through community education about the 'business and consequences of taking risks.'
- Renamed ThinkFirst in 2001, in alignment with ThinkFirst National Injury Prevention Foundation
- For more than 25 years, ThinkFirst has evolved to include current issues such as impaired and distracted driving,
child passenger safety, TBI (traumatic brain injury) awareness and helmet use.
ThinkFirst in Illinois
ThinkFirst SIU School of Medicine is one of ten ThinkFirst Illinois chapters. All chapters share the common goal of preventing brain and spinal cord injuries. Please check with the ThinkFirst chapter nearest you.
- Carbondale - NeuroRestorative
- Chicago - NorthShore University Health System
- Crystal Lake- McHenry County Mental Health Board
- Joliet - Provena St Joseph Medical Center
- LaGrange - Spinal Cord Injury Association
- Peoria - OSF St. Francis Medical Center
- Springfield - SIU School of Medicine
- Winfield - Northwestern Health
PersonnelNancy Kyrouac, MPH, ThinkFirst Director National Child Passenger Safety Instructor ThinkFirst for Teens educational speaker Nate Saint, BS, ThinkFirst Educational Coordinator ThinkFirst for Teens educational speaker National Child Passenger Safety Technician Danny Hicks, ThinkFirst Voice for Injury Prevention Speaker National Child Passenger Safety Technician Victim Impact Panel speaker
Jeff Conant, contractual VIP Speaker
Tony Huffman, contractual VIP speaker