Surgery Core Clerkship
- Provide a clinically immersive surgical experience with a designated faculty preceptor who will through direct observation and targeted feedback, assist students to develop their clinical skills (i.e. History and physical exam skills, differential diagnoses development,diagnostic justification, technical skills, and development of diagnostic and therapeutic management plans)
- To become familiar with the role and function of a surgeon.
- To determine if you may find an interest in a future career in a surgical specialty.
- To become familiar with how to diagnose (i.e. preoperative management) a patient that presents with a potential surgical problem.
- To become familiar with how to assess and treat common postoperative complications.
- Provide the opportunity for development of communication and interpersonal skills (i.e. Oral presentation skills, patients, families, caregivers, healthcare teams, and documentation)
Surgery PEP Selectives
- Provide students opportunities to experience a wide variety of surgical specialties to assist students in determining their career paths.
- Provide students who have chosen a career path with a deeper experience in surgery specialties to develop specific educational goals.