Dr. Ahmed Torky is an assistant professor of clinical pediatrics at SIU School of Medicine, specializing in pediatric endocrinology. He completed a bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery at Cairo University in Cairo, Egypt, where he also completed a master's degree in Pediatrics and Child Health. Dr. Torky completed his clinical geneticist certification at the National Research Centre in Cairo, Egypt and a pediatric residency at Mount Sinai Hospital in Elmhurst, NJ. Dr. Torky completed a pediatric endocrinology fellowship at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD. His research interests include the development of risk factors for cardiovascular and metabolic morbidity in patients with CAH, and the value of thyroid testing in the inpatient setting. Dr. Torky is board certified in pediatrics and pediatric endocrinology, and is member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Member.
Education & training
- February 2019: Peer reviewed publication. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. “Characterization of the CYP11A1 Nonsynonymous Variant p.E314K in Children Presenting With Adrenal Insufficiency”. Kolli V, Kim H, Torky A, Lao Q, Tatsi C, Mallappa A, Merke DP.
- January 2019: Peer reviewed publication. Hospital Pediatrics. “Low Value of Thyroid Testing in the Pediatric Inpatient Setting”. Torky A, LaRue M, Kaplowitz P.
- Jun 2018 Poster - American diabetes foundation Orlando, FL. “Variations in Phenotypic Features of Two Siblings with PC1/3 Deficiency: Obesity and Hyperproinsulinemia.” Davis EK, Broadney MM, Persky RW, Torky AM, Yanovski JA
- Mar 2018 Poster - Endocrine society annual meeting Chicago, IL. "The Development of Risk Factors for Cardiovascular And Metabolic Morbidity In A Longitudinal Study Of CAH.” Torky AM, Mallappa A, El-Maouche D, Merke DP.
- Sep 2017 Poster - 10th international meeting of pediatric endocrinology Washington, DC. “Low Value of thyroid testing in the inpatient setting”. Torky AM, LaRue M, Kaplowitz P.
- Apr 2016 Poster - 18th annual child health research day, Mount Sinai New York, NY. “Food Insecurity in Families enrolled in the Wholesome Wave Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program® in New York City Public Hospitals”. Leung P, Cheng T, Kare M, Rhee D, Torky AM, Ballestas M, Verma R, Chait-Llamas L, Clarke A, Fitch A, Woolever A, Kyvelos E.
- Apr 2015 Poster - Pediatric academic society San Diego, CA. “Different LGA cutoffs for neonatal hypoglycemia screening” Shaikh N, Torky AM, Insorio A, Rauch D.
- Mar 2015 Poster – NY state pediatric advocacy conference New York, NY. “The Wholesome Wave Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program. Implementation in the Elmhurst Hospital Pediatric Primary Care Clinic.” Torky AM, Cheng T, Woolever A, Kyvelos E.
- Dec 2012 Speaker - 2nd International conference of human genetics and genome research National Research Centre Cairo, Egypt. “Disorders of Sex Development in Development Syndrome”
- Jul 2014 Peer reviewed publication Hormone Research Paediatrics. “A Novel Mutation (c.2735_2736delTC) in the Androgen Receptor Gene in 46,XY Females with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome in an Egyptian Family.” Mazen I, Soliman H, El-Gammal M, Torky A, Mekkawy M, Abdel-Hamid MS, Essawi M.
- Mar 2014 Peer reviewed publication European Journal Endocrinology. “Analysis of the gene coding for steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1, NR5A1) in a cohort of fifty Egyptian patients with 46,XY DSD.” Tantawy S, Mazen I, Soliman H, Anwar G, Atef A, El-Gammal M, El-Kotoury A, Mekkawy M, Torky A, Rudolf A, Schrumpf P, Grüters A, Krude H, Dumargne MC, Astudillo R, Bashamboo A, Biebermann H, Köhler B.