Dr. Beau Batton is a professor of clinical pediatrics and the Chief of the Division of Neonatology at SIU School of Medicine. He also serves as the Director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at HSHS St. John's Children's Hospital. Dr. Batton earned his medical degree at Stritch School of Medicine, Loyola University, in Maywood Illinois. He completed an internship and a pediatric residency at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, and a fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. He is board certified in pediatrics and neonatal-perinatal medicine.
In addition to his positions with SIU as a Board member for SIU Medicine and Chair of the Finance Committee, Dr. Batton is the current chair of the Illinois Department of Public Health Perinatal Advisory Committee, a member of the International Neonatal Consortium Hemodynamic Adaptations Workgroup, and Co-Director of the Illinois South Central Perinatal Network. His publications include works on blood pressure management and neurodevelopment in extremely preterm infants, in utero anti-depressant exposure and neurodevelopment in preterm infants, and in perspectives of physician parents in the neonatal ICU.
Education & training
- Batton B. Etiology, clinical manifestations, evaluation, and management of neonatal shock. In: UpToDate, Post TW (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. (Accessed on December 7, 2016.)
- Batton B. Etiology, clinical manifestations, evaluation, and management of low blood pressure in extremely preterm infants. In: UpToDate, Post TW (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA. (Accessed on December 7, 2016.)
- Janvier A, Lantos J, and the POST investigators. Stronger and more vulnerable: Impact of the NICU experience on parents. Pediatrics 2016; 138: e20160655.
- Batton, Beau J. eLetter: Clinical Report: Antenatal counseling regarding resuscitation and intensive care before 25 weeks of gestation, Pediatrics (October 13, 2015), http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/136/3/588.full/reply#pediatrics_el_70252.
- Batton B. Longitudinal trends in NICU admission rates (commentary). www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/GeneralPediatrics/52796; July 27, 2015.
- Janvier A, on behalf of the Parents from the Other Side of Treatment. Ethics and etiquette in neonatal intensive care. JAMA Peds 2014; 168: 857 – 858.
- Batton D, Batton B. Advocating for equality for preterm infants. CMAJ 2013; 185: 1557 – 1558.
- Batton B. Blood pressure management in extremely preterm infants. www.nicuniversity.org/video. December 3, 2012.
- Batton B. Healing hearts. JAMA 2010; 304:1303-1304.
- Heitzer A, Piercy J, Peters B, Mattes A, Klarr J, Ofen N, Batton B, Raz S. Kindergarten Readiness and Early Biological Risk in Preterm-Born Preschoolers. J Int Neuropsycho Soc 2016; 22: 865-877.
- Batton B, Li L, Newman N, Das A, Watterberg K, Yoder B, Faix R, Laughon M, Stoll B, Higgins R, Walsh M. Early blood pressure, anti-hypotensive therapy & neurodevelopment in extremely preterm infants. ADC Fetal Neonat Ed 2016; 101: F201-F206.
- Balgi S, Singhal S, Mueller G, Batton BFeeding intolerance and poor growth in infants with gastroschisis: longitudinal
- Majjiga V, Kavianian A, Bhatt N, Brandt G, Batton B. A newborn with catastrophic intra-abdominal hemorrhage. BMJ Case Rep 2015; doi:10.1136/bcr-2015-211279.
- Szyld E, Aguilar A, Musante G, Vain N, Prudent L, Fabres J, Carlo W, Delivery Room Ventilation Devices Trial Group. Comparison of devices for newborn ventilation in the delivery room. J Peds 2014; 165: 234-239.
- Batton B, Li L, Newman N, Das A, Watterberg K, Yoder B, Faix R, Laughon M, Stoll B, Higgins R, Walsh M. Evolving blood pressure dynamics for extremely preterm infants. J Perinatol 2014; 34: 301-305.
- Batton B, Li L, Newman N, Das A, Watterberg K, Yoder B, Faix R, Laughon M, Stoll B, Van Meurs K, Carlo W, Poindexter B, Bell E, Sánchez P, Ehrenkranz R, Goldberg R, Laptook A, Kennedy K, Frantz I, Shankaran S, Schibler K, Higgins R, Walsh M. Prospective study of blood pressure management in extremely preterm infants. Pediatrics 2013; 131: e1865-e1873.
- Batton B, Nubani R, Burnett C, Verhulst S, Batton D. National variance in infant mortality rates following extremely preterm birth. J Neonat Bio 2013; 2:113 (doi:10.4172/2167-0897.1000113).
- Batton B, Batton E, Weigler K, Aylward G, Batton D. In utero anti-depressant exposure and neurodevelopment in preterm infants. Am J Perinatol 2013; 30: 297-302.
- Batton B, Li L, Newman N, Das A, Watterberg K, Yoder B, Faix R, Laughon M, Van Meurs K, Carlo W, Higgins R, Walsh M. Feasibility study of early blood pressure management in extremely preterm infants. J Peds 2012; 161: 65-69.e1.
- Batton B, Verhulst S, Davis A, Collin M, Walsh M, Batton D. Perspectives of physician parents in the neonatal ICU. Children’s Health Care 2011; 40: 326-343.
- Batton B, Burnett C, Verhulst S, Batton D. Extremely preterm infant mortality rates and Cesarean deliveries in the United States. Obstet and Gyn 2011; 118: 43-48.
- Batton B, Zhu X, Fanaroff J, Kirchner H, Berlin S, Wilson-Costello D, Walsh M. Blood pressure, antihypotensive therapy, and neurodevelopment in extremely preterm infants. J Peds 2009; 154: 351 – 357.
- Batton B, Batton D, Riggs T. Blood pressure during the first seven days in 23-25 week premature infants. Am J Perinatol 2007; 24: 107 – 115.
- Rifenburg N, Batton B, Vade A. Unusual presentation of a ruptured retroperitoneal lymphangioma in an infant. Comput Med Imag Graphic 2006; 30: 61 – 63.
- Batton B, Amanullah A, Main C, Fivenson D, Jamil S. Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma in a 21-year-old male with Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome. Am J Med Genet 2004; 127A: 81 – 85.
- Prospective Observational Study of Heart Rate Variability Monitoring in Preterm Infants. $15,000. Role: Principal Investigator; 2012 Southern Illinois University SOM Research Seed Grant.
- Cerebral Oxygenation and Autoregulation in Preterm Infants: Association with Morbidity and Mortality. $7,800. Role: Principal Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM; Covidien.
- Phase Ib/IIa Randomized, Placebo Controlled Study of the Safety & Efficacy of Once Daily Dosing of STP206 in Premature Very Low Birth Weight & Extremely Low Birth Weight Neonates. $81,031. Role: Principal Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM; Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals.
- AztraSeneca Pharmaceuticals. $5,000. Co-Investigator for Southern Illinois University SOM.
- HSHS St. John’s Foundation. Home Nursing Intervention for Very Preterm Infants. $200,000. Role: Principal Investigator and Project Director.
- Teaching Service of the Year, 2016, Southern Illinois University SOM Department of Pediatrics
Nominee, Southern Illinois University SOM Outstanding Educator of the Year Award, 2015
17th Braden E. Griffin Memorial Symposium Lectureship Recipient, UMass Memorial, 2015
Best Doctors in America (bestdoctors.com) 2015 – 2016
Teaching Service of the Year, 2013, Southern Illinois University SOM Department of Pediatrics
Teaching Service of the Year, 2011, Southern Illinois University SOM Department of Pediatrics
Teaching Service of the Year, 2009, Southern Illinois University SOM Department of Pediatrics