Illinois GA passes new CME/CEU requirements for 2020
The Illinois General Assembly passed new legislative educational mandates for healthcare professionals addressing two pressing issues:
- Opioid Safe Prescribing Practices, in response to the current opioid crisis
- Sexual harassment prevention, in response to the #MeToo movement
All licensed healthcare providers should be aware of these requirements as outlined below. The SIU Continuing Professional Development Office is committed to helping you meet these requirements. Several online modules from reputable sources have been compiled below.
Please note that all physician licenses are due for renewal in July 2020 so these requirements must be met by July 2020 as you will have to attest to their completion. These required hours do count toward the required 150 hours of CME for license renewal.
The Illinois State Medical Society is an excellent source for more information on these requirements: https://www.isms.org/home/.
1. Opioid Safe Prescribing Practices (3 hours required)
- Who: ALL prescribers who are licensed to prescribe controlled substances.
- Details: Prescribers will have to attest to 3 hours of CME specific to safe opioid prescribing offered by a professional association, state government agency or federal agency.
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion:Pathways to Safer Opioid Use. Free. Offers 1 or 4 hours of CME depending on number of modules completed.Is an interactive series of modules complete with videos that are well done.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Free. Offers up to 11 hours of CME. Need to create an account with their online platform, TCEO – Training and Continuing Education Online. Note: This part is a bit cumbersome, but only required once.
- American College of Physicians. Free to cost-reduced for members. Offers a range of learning opportunities from 1 hour CME/MOC modules to larger 20 hour CME/MOC ACP Practice Advisor packages.
- Illinois State Medical Society. Free for members, $50 for non-members for each 0.5 hour to 1 hour course. Up to 6 hours offered.
- KnowledgePlus. Free. Pain Management and Opioids CME course for medical professionals.
2. Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (1 hour required)
- Who: All professions licensed by the State of Illinois that require continuing education as a condition of re-licensure.
- Details: Professionals will have to attest to 1 hour of CME specific to sexual harassment prevention offered by a professional association, state government agency or federal agency.
- Illinois State Medical Society. Free for members, $50 for non-members for each 1 hour course. Up to 3 hours offered.
- American Medical Association. Free. Content is targeted to physicians. 1 hour offered.
- Illinois Nurses Association. $15. Course is designed for physicians, physician assistants, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, therapists, and all members of the interprofessional healthcare team.
The Legislative Rule Links
Opioid Safe Prescribing | https://www.idfpr.com/FAQ/DPR/Safe%20Opioid%20RX%20CE%20FAQ.pdf
Sexual Harassment Prevention | http://ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/068/068011300E04000R.html