Medical students training with local physicians
Family physicians in several Illinois communities are hosting students from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine through January 29. The students are participating in the school’s Family Medicine Preceptorship Program.
[Editor: See the list below for the student or physician from your community.]
This experience provides an opportunity for students to use their medical knowledge in a clinic setting under the supervision of a seasoned physician. The students choose from more than 160 family practice physicians in Illinois for their preceptorship service. They will graduate from medical school in May 2022, then pursue advanced training in a specific area of medicine before beginning practice. Since 1981, 2,747 students have participated in the program, which is offered by the school’s Department of Family and Community Medicine.
The mission of SIU School of Medicine is to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. SIU Medicine, the health care practice of the school of medicine, includes clinics and offices with more than 300 providers caring for patients throughout the region. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois. Since 1975, 3,024 physicians have earned SIU medical degrees. For information, call SIU Medicine’s main number, 217-545-8000, or visit siumed.edu.
- Ryan Dembosky, son of Stephen Dembosky of East Moline, is the guest of Robert Wagner, MD, at Cottage Medical Arts Clinic in Galesburg.
- Erica Forbes, daughter of Scott and Jodi Forbes of Bourbonnais, is the guest of Clyde Dayhoff, MD, with The Medical Group of Kankakee County in Bradley.
- Matt Hazelrigg, son of Steven and Sharon Hazelrigg of Springfield, is the guest of Natalie Mahoney, MD, with Springfield Clinic Family Practice in Jacksonville.
- Yvette Igbokwe, daughter of John Igbokwe and Lucky Igbokwe, both of Brockton, Ma., is the guest of Jennifer Schuermann, MD, in Springfield.
- Samuel Keck-Flory, spouse of Brittany Keck-Flory and son of Donald Flory and Pamela Keck of Edwardsville, is the guest of Christopher Martinek, MD, at Springfield Clinic Wabash.
- Manish Mandava, son of Venkateswara and Manasi Mandava of Normal, is the guest of Amir Wahab, MD, with MPS Family Medical Center in Lincoln.
- Braidy Megeff, daughter of Randall and Johnna Megeff of Champaign, is the guest of Jin Ahn, DO, at Carle Family Medicine in Champaign.
- Jeff Nie, son of Daotai Nie and Aiming Wang of Springfield, is the guest of SIU Center for Family Medicine in Decatur.
- Bukky Tabiti, daughter of Katerine Tabiti of Chicago, is the guest of Solmaz Bauk, MD, with Springfield Clinic Family Practice Center.