Henry Adekola MD is an assistant professor at the SIU School of Medicine and an attending physician for the department of Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
He attended the College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, West Africa. In addition to obtaining clinical experience in National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom, he completed his residency training at the Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York. Dr. Adekola completed his Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan. He is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Maternal-Fetal Medicine. His area of interest include ethical issues as it relates to pregnancy, palliative perinatal medicine, preterm birth prevention, critical care obstetrics, fetal ultrasound, as well as common complex and rare maternal medical complications of pregnancy.
Dr. Adekola is a member of the American Medical Association, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine.
Education & training
- Genomic detection of a familial 382Kb 6q27 deletion in a fetus with isolated ventriculomegaly and her affected mother
Thakur M, Bronshtein E, Hankerd M, Adekola H, Puder K, Gonik B, Ebrahim S.
Am J Med Genet A. 2018 Sep 8. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.40376. [Epub ahead of print]
- Outcomes in subsequent pregnancies after wedge resection for interstitial ectopic pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study.
Hoyos LR, Vilchez G, Allsworth JE, Malik M, Rodriguez-Kovacs J, Adekola H, Awonuga AO.
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018 Feb 15:1-7.
- Adolescence and risk of preterm birth in multifetal gestations.
Alrahmani L, Abdelsattar ZM, Adekola H, Gonik B, Awonuga A.
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017 Nov 22:1-4.
- Secondary Postpartum Hemorrhage due to Spontaneous Uterine Artery Rupture after Normal Vaginal Delivery Managed by Selective Arterial Embolization.
Thakur M, Adekola HO, Asaad R, Gonik B.
AJP Rep. 2016 Oct;6(4):e442-e444.
- Risk-profiles and outcomes of multi-foetal pregnancies in adolescent mothers.
Alrahmani L, Abdelsattar ZM, Adekola H, Puscheck E, Gonik B, Awonuga AO.
J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016 Nov;36(8):1056-1060.
- Optimal visualization of the fetal four-chamber and outflow tract views with transabdominal ultrasound in the morbidly obese: Are we there yet?
Adekola H, Soto E, Dai J, Lam-Rachlin J, Gill N, Leon-Peters J, Puder K, Abramowicz JS.
J Clin Ultrasound. 2015 Nov-Dec;43(9):548-55.
- Fetal cardiac axis in non-anomalous pregnancies: does fetal gender or maternal body mass index (BMI) matter?
Adekola H, Soto E, Dai J, Puder K, Abramowicz JS.
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;29(13):2125-30.
- Outcomes following intra-amniotic instillation with indigo carmine to diagnose prelabor rupture of membranes in singleton pregnancies: a single center experience.
Adekola H, Gill N, Sakr S, Hobson D, Bryant D, Abramowicz JS, Soto E.
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;29(4):544-9.
- Passage of decidual cast following poor compliance with oral contraceptive pill.
Malik MF, Adekola H, Porter W, Poulik JM.
Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2015 Apr;34(2):103-7.
- Asymptomatic "placental prolapse" with cervical funneling in a patient with complete placenta previa.
Adekola H, Lam-Rachlin J, Bronshtein E, Abramowicz JS.
J Clin Ultrasound. 2015 Feb;43(2):122-5.
- Endocan, a putative endothelial cell marker, is elevated in preeclampsia, decreased in acute pyelonephritis, and unchanged in other obstetrical syndromes.
Adekola H, Romero R, Chaemsaithong P, Korzeniewski SJ, Dong Z, Yeo L, Hassan SS, Chaiworapongsa T.
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2015;28(14):1621-32.
- The clinical relevance of fetal MRI in the diagnosis of Type IV cystic sacrococcygeal teratoma--a review.
Adekola H, Mody S, Bronshtein E, Puder K, Abramowicz JS.
Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2015 Feb;34(1):31-43.
- von Hippel-Lindau disease and pregnancy: what an obstetrician should know.
Adekola H, Soto E, Lam J, Bronshtein E, Chaiworapongsa T, Sorokin Y.
Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2013 Sep;68(9):655-62.
- One hundred and fourteen days of somatic support in a severely brain injured pregnant woman: case report and review of the literature
Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics 2014 Feb; 3(1): 42-49
Adekola H, Al-Wahab Z, Sudakin L, Puder K, Gonik B
- Ultrasound evaluation in the modern labor/delivery unit: An important diagnostic and management tool
Henry Adekola, Jacques Abramowicz
Fleischer’s Sonography in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Textbook and teaching cases
McGraw Hill Professional, 2017
- Aneuploidy screening: The ongoing role of first trimester ultrasound
Rauch K, Hicks M, Adekola H, Abramowicz JS
First trimester ultrasound: A comprehensive guide
Abramowicz JS (Editor)