Enos Elementary School - Adopt a School partner
SIU School of Medicine has been part of the Springfield Public School District #186 Partners in Education Adopt-a-School program since 1985. A volunteer committee of SIU employees coordinates efforts to enrich school experiences for the young learners. We are always looking for eager volunteers who would like to help. We can use almost any area of interest or skill. Sometimes the best thing to offer is yourself and a bit of time. Employees and students can fill out the volunteer form and return to Hope Cherry, 520 N. 4th Street, MC 9671.
About Enos Elementary School
Enos has kindergarten through fifth grade students. Many of the children come from economically disadvantaged homes. The school is located at 524 West Elliott St, two blocks northwest of SIU's 801 N. Rutledge building.
SIU School of Medicine shows support through:
- Mentoring / tutoring programs provided by medical students and employees
- Organizing gift basket prizes for the fall health fair
- Faculty and staff read to individual students or classes
- SIU medical students organize the national Shoes That Fit program to provide new tennis shoes for the elementary students
- A spring exhibition of Enos student artwork in SIU's Medical Library
- A faculty luncheon during Teacher Appreciation Week in May
- Blue ENOS bins around the campus collect donations at different times throughout the year
- School supplies each August, including notebooks, backpacks, pens, pencils, wipes and art supplies
- New children’s outerwear and clothing items in winter
- A book giveaway each spring for the students to take home for summer reading
Our mailing address is Enos Committee, SIU School of Medicine, Attn: Hope Cherry, P.O. Box 19671, Springfield, IL 62794-9671. Checks can be made payable to Enos Committee, SIU Foundation Acct. 106751.
Visit Enos' website at www.springfield.k12.il.us/schools/enos.