Dr. Farooq Ahamed completed his MBBS and rotating internship at M.S. Ramaiah Medical College in Bangalore, India. He then went on to complete his pediatric residency at Flushing Hospital Medical Center in New York, where he was the Chief Resident. Dr. Ahamed completed his fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Montefiore Medical Center. He has worked on research regarding the reduction of noise in the NICU, vitamin D supplementation strategies, correlations between early feeding tolerance in intrauterine growth restricted neonates and abnormal antenatal Doppler characteristics, and neonatal chronic lung disease and bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
Education & training
- Ahamed MF, Verma P, Lee S, Vega M, Wang D, Kim M, et al. “Predictors of successful closure of patent ductus arteriosus with indomethacin” Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association 2015
- Ganster A, Ahamed M, Fuloria M. “Surgical Emergencies of the Chest and Abdomen in the Newborn” In: Campbell DE, ed. Neonatology for Primary Care. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2014
- Tal A, Ahamed M, Thompson-Branch A. “Index of Suspicion in the NurseryCase 1: Respiratory Distress in a Term Infant” Neoreviews 2015; 16:e47-e50
- Ganster A, Ahamed M F, Fuloria M. “Surgical emergencies of the chest and abdomen in the newborn” In: McInerny TK, Adam HM, Campbell DE, Kamat DM, Kelleher KJ, eds. American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook
- Cerebral Oxygenation and Autoregulation in Preterm Infants: Association with Morbidity and Mortality. $7,800. Southern Illinois University SOM; Covidien.
- Phase Ib/IIa Randomized, Placebo Controlled Study of the Safety & Efficacy of Once Daily Dosing of STP206 in Premature Very Low Birth Weight & Extremely Low Birth Weight Neonates. $81,031. Southern Illinois University SOM; Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals.
- AztraSeneca Pharmaceuticals. $5,000.
- HSHS St. John’s Foundation. Home Nursing Intervention for Very Preterm Infants. $200,000. Southern Illinois University SOM.