Dr. Ryan Majcina is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at SIU School of Medicine. He is also a member of SIU HealthCare, the medical school’s group practice. Before joining SIU, Majcina worked as a pediatric intensivist at Mercy Children’s Hospital in St. Louis, MO. He completed a pediatric critical care fellowship at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis (2013). He completed a pediatric residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD (2009) after earning his medical degree at SIU School of Medicine in Springfield (2006). Majcina graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Notre Dame (2002). He is board certified in pediatrics and pediatric critical care medicine. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Education & training
- Hudson MM, Hester A, Sweeney T, Kippenbrock S, Majcina R, Vear S, Wiard S, Kaplan S. A model of care for childhood cancer survivors that facilitates research. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 2004; 21: 170-174.
- Basnet S, Carmichael N, Majcina R, Caprirolo G. Risks of adult heparin-protocols in children admitted with venous thromboembolism. Poster presentation at the SCCM Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida, February 2016, Published in Crit Care Med. December 2015 - Volume 43 - Issue 12 - p 223 DOI: 10.1097/01.ccm.0000474713.90004.fb
- Basnet S, Halyko M, Caprirolo G, Majcina R. Dexmedetomidine in children with obstructive lung disease to facilitate noninvasive ventilation. Poster presentation at the SCCM Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida, February 2016, Published in Crit Care Med. December 2015 - Volume 43 - Issue 12 - p 177–178 doi: 10.1097/01.ccm.0000474532.89582.5a
- Caprirolo G, Yu X, Majcina R, Mueller G, Gilman H, Basnet S. Improving Adherence to Hand Hygiene and Isolation Protocol Through Family Participation. Poster presentation at the SCCM Annual Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii, January 2017.
- Star Research Achievement Award 2017 SCCM 46th Critical Care Congress
- Medical Student Preceptor of the Year 2016. SIU School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics.
- 2nd place winner, 2003. Southern Illinois University 14th Annual Combined Research Symposium.
- Illinois General Assembly Scholarship Winner 2003