Dr. Sheref Unal is an associate professor of clinical pediatrics at SIU School of Medicine, specializing in the care of pediatric and newborn patients. He received a medical degree from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC, and completed a pediatric residency at SIU School of Medicine in Springfield, IL. After his residency, Unal return to the Medical University of South Carolina to complete a fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine. Because of a particular interest in medical student education, Dr. Unal serves as the Director of Undergraduate Medical Education in the Department of Pediatrics. Board certified in Pediatrics, he has a strong interest in the treatment and care of newborn infants.
Additional languages spoken
Education & training
- 02/2009: “International Adoption-An Update” Grand Rounds. Southern IL School of Medicine.
- 04/2006: “When is Treatment of a Patent Ductus Arteriosus with Indomethacin Futile?” Pediatric Academic Societies' Meeting
- Medical Student Preceptor of the Year, 2016. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics.
- Resident Teacher of the Year, 2009. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. Department of Pediatrics
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2001-Southern Illinois School of Medicine.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1997-Washington University in St. Louis.