2018-2019 Resident Fact Sheet for Springfield Based Residents and Fellow
2018 – 2019 STIPENDS:
PGY I $54,590
PGY II $55,000
PGY III $56,100
PGY IV $57,525
PGY V $59,500
PGY VI $61,717
PAID LEAVE (Vacation / Sick / Bereavement / Education)
All trainees (residents and fellows) may be permitted up to (maximum number dependent on Board requirements):
- 3 weeks of vacation
- 2 weeks of sick leave
- 1 week of educational leave
- 3 calendar days of bereavement leave
***Note: The ABPS allows a maximum of 28 days of leave in a calendar year, with one additional week allowed in the 5th and 6th years for exceptional circumstances. A resident is defined to have worked a full year as 48 weeks, with 4 weeks (28 days) away for all leave, regardless of type or nature.
Child Care Leave
Trainees are permitted to take up to twelve (12) weeks of leave without compensation in accordance with the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, after the birth of a child or the placement of a child with the resident/fellow for adoption or foster care. Contact the Office of Graduate Medical Information for details.
Each program will have work hours optimal to the care of patients and in compliance with the general and special requirements of the ACGME.
Parking / Sleep Rooms/ Meals
- Free parking
- Secured sleeping rooms are furnished for all trainees who are on in-house call and nap rooms are available to residents/fellows at both hospitals.
- Trainees have access to food services twenty-four hours per day at both hospitals.
Residents and fellows are employed by either Memorial Medical Center or HSHS St. John’s Hospital, and are provided benefits through their employing hospital.
- Health insurance is provided at a minimal charge; an optional family plan can be purchased.
- Dental insurance is provided for the resident/fellow and family for a small fee.
- A Vision Plan is offered.
- Group Term Life insurance is provided at no cost; additional coverage may be purchased.
- Long Term Disability insurance is provided at no cost.
- 403(b) Retirement Plan is offered.
Professional Liability Insurance
Residents and fellows are provided professional liability coverage by the hospitals. It will provide legal defense and protection against awards from claims reported or filed during and after the completion of the training program if the alleged acts or omissions of the trainee were within the scope of the program, in accordance with the affiliated hospitals’ self-insured trust and liability policy.
*Programs may provide additional varying benefits, reimbursements, or incentives.
For further questions, please contact Jennifer Rodgers with the Office of Graduate Medical Education or the Plastic Surgery Coordinator, Naya Jackson (email@example.com)