Dr. Venkata Sasidhar Majjiga is an assistant professor of pediatrics at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, specializing in neonatology. He also is a member of SIU HealthCare, the medical school’s practice group, as well as a member of St. John’s Children’s Hospital, a joint endeavor of SIU and St. John’s Hospital in Springfield. Majjiga completed a three-year fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine at New York Medical College-Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y. (2011). He completed his pediatrics and neonatology residency at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn (2008). Previously he served at Dewsbury and District Hospital and Pinderfields General Hospital in the U.K. (2004-05). He passed his Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Heath membership exams in the U.K. in 2003 and earned his medical degree (M.B.B.S.) from Gandhi Medical College in India (1996). Majjiga is board certified in pediatrics by the American Board of Pediatrics and is board eligible in neontology. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He is married to Sirimala Reddy Majjiga and has three children.
Education & training
- K.K.Diwakar, Majjiga V Sasidhar, Plasma glucose level in term appropriate for gestational age neonates in first 72 hour’s of life Arch Dis Child July 2002 vol.87 no.1
- V.S.Majjiga, P. Kumeresan, E.J.Glass, Silver Nitrate Burns following Umbilical Granuloma Treatment Arch Dis Child 2005;90:674. Cited by H Marcovitch in BMJ 2005;331;372 under “What’s new in this month in BMJ journals”
- M Shukla, R Barros, V S Majjiga, and Asit K. Tripathy, Acute Colonic Pseudo‐obstruction in a Pediatric Patient. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 2007; 45:600‐602
- V S Majjiga, A Tripathy, K Viswanathan, M Shukla, Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura and Multiorgan System Failure in a child with Sickle Cell‐Hemoglobin C Disease. Clin Pediatr OnlineFirst, published on June 12, 2009
- V S Majjiga, D Mooney, M Kessler, M Zia, S Jayabose, B Parvez. “First case report of intraocular metastasis of choriocarcinoma in newborn and review of literature” submitted for publication Newsletter publication
- V S Majjiga, B Parvez. Management of serum glucose levels in neonates. “The Perinatal Gazette” Newsletter of the Regional Perinatal Center ‐ Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center. May 2009. Volume 9 Issue 3
- Pediatric Chief Resident (2007/08) at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical center.
- Awarded travel grant to attend scientific meeting at Eastern Society of Pediatric Research, 2009 held at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Awarded travel grant to attend scientific meeting at Eastern Society of Pediatric Research, 2010 to be held at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Sponsored by Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health for pediatric training under International pediatric training scheme during the year August 2002‐ August 2003