What is phishing?
Phishing is when attackers send bad emails in order to steal personal information.
What are scammers after?
- Financial Information
- Protected Health Information
How can I identify phishing emails?
- Forceful/faked urgency to get you to respond before you think
- Offer a prize or reward to tempt you to click on a link
- Ask you to provide your password or other confidential data for security purposes
- Website addresses that are similar to, but not the same as the real thing, e.g.
- Use “masked” links that look like a trusted website address but take you somewhere else when clicked
- Top tip – hovering over a link should display the actual address
- Emails that appear to come from a senior employee at your organization
- Poor spelling and/or unusual grammar
How do I report phishing emails?
Forward phishing emails to email@example.com
What if I can't tell if the email is phishing?
What should I do if I fall for a phishing email?
SIU users who fall victim to phishing attacks are responsible for their actions!
Should I report phishing to law enforcement?
Information Technology works with local, state and federal law enforcement as required to report and respond to phishing attempts.