Join Our Team
Open positions within the Marketing, Communications and Engagement team at SIU Medicine
Graphic Design Associate
The function of this position is to serve as a graphic design associate in the Office of Marketing, Communications and Engagement at SIU School of Medicine in Springfield and provide assistance in planning, designing and executing graphic design assignments and assisting in the development of animation, video and digital products for SIU Medicine and SIU School of Medicine.
This position reports to the Creative Services Manager, who reports to the Executive Director of the Office of Marketing, Communications and Engagement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
Demonstrates, by actions, commitment to the mission and the behavioral standards of SIU School of Medicine. Provides excellent service to both internal and external customers through collaboration and partnership; compassion and respect; integrity and accountability; diversity and inclusion; as well as continuous learning and improvement.
Incumbent produces graphic artwork that may be used for informational, educational, or promotional purposes in such media as print, video, displays, online and other digital formats.
Employees at this level perform skilled design tasks involving the preparation and production of complex graphic artwork.
1. Performs assigned skilled graphic design work, such as
- Determining project objectives in detail and preparing specifications (methods to be used and equipment needed) and cost estimates
- Designing and preparing final production ready artwork for a variety of media including video projects
- Specifying photographic-work needs for execution by photographers and videographers (such as subject scale in relation to the frame or type of lighting preferred) or performing photographic work personally
- Produces final graphic images from electronic and non-electronic formats for video, digital animation, motion graphics, PowerPoint slide production, print, digital platforms, websites or other graphic manipulations
- Selects and manipulates type for use in artwork (such as body copy, headline types, and typographical special effects)
- Assists printers and press and pre-press operators with work in progress to ensure specified methods are used
2. Performs other related marketing and communications duties as assigned.
Anyone or any combination that equals thirty-six (36) months from the categories below:
- Credit for progressively more advanced college or art-school coursework that would lead to a major in graphic/visual arts communication and/or design
60 semester hours equals 12 months
90 semester hours equals 24 months
120 semester hours or a Bachelor's Degree equals 36 months
- Work experience and/or on-the-job training that provided knowledge of progressively more advanced, generally accepted principles, theories, practices, and methods used in graphic designs and their applications to visual communications problems that are/is comparable to the training provided in the programs such as graphic/visual arts communication and/or design
A Master's Degree in visual design, with an emphasis in visual arts communication or a closely related field, meets all minimum acceptable qualifications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of advanced drawing, and multifaceted design techniques.
2. Knowledge of printing and production issues and techniques.
3. Knowledge of the psychology of colors, and ability to follow brand and color guides.
4. Ability to perform other difficult technical procedures (such as designing and preparing final production-ready graphics).
5. Ability to develop cost estimates and project objectives.
6. Knowledge of the video production process and integration with video, animation and motion graphic needs.
7. Experience working in in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects).
Sensitive to the needs of underrepresented minority populations