SCOPE is the literary arts magazine of SIU School of Medicine, a showcase for the depth and range of talents within our medical school community. It is organized and peer-reviewed by a creative group of medical students, with some staff and faculty technical support.
Express your spirit by entering an original work of poetry, short prose or two-dimensional artwork. Entries are open to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine or their immediate family, and submissions need not be related to health care.
Entries are due by January 8, 2024.
The magazine is published in April and includes the top three winners in visual art, poetry and prose, as well as dozens of other choices per the discretion of the judges. Entries are judged on artistic and literary merit.
Monetary prizes are awarded in the top three places for each category. A People’s Choice prize for visual art is also awarded, based on community voting during the SCOPE art exhibit.
First place $150
Second place $100
Third place $50
People’s Choice $50
Dean’s Choice $50
The SCOPE Reception will be held in mid-April in the Pearson Museum at SIU School of Medicine. Employees and the public are invited to hear excerpted readings of the new edition’s poetry and prose and see the printed artwork in person.
• You may submit a maximum of five (5) entries per each category of poetry, prose and artwork.
• All entries must be original work by the author/artist listed, unless noted. Submissions based on someone else's creative or copyrighted content will be downgraded.
• Each entry must include a completed entry form or it will not be accepted.
Entries and entry forms are sent to the Department of Medical Humanities in Springfield or to Kathleen Jones in Carbondale. Addresses are listed below. Entries are limited to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine and immediate family members.
POETRY / PROSE
• You must submit a digital file of your work, a .doc or .txt file via e-mail.
• Works should be in 10-12 pt. Times New Roman, Helvetica or Arial font.
• Limit: 1,800 words
Email prose and poetry entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• You must submit a digital file of your photo or artwork, as a .jpeg file via e-mail.
• You must also submit a framed print of the artwork to SIU School of Medicine for the SCOPE judging by January 22.
• Select artwork may be held for exhibition in the SCOPE Gallery opposite the West Auditorium with the artist's permission. Entries must be claimed by June 1.
• Artwork must be in a condition suitable for exhibition and ready to hang. SIU School of Medicine will make every effort to ensure the safety of your work but will not be responsible for fragile pieces. Please make sure that your piece is secure and has wires or finishing nails for hanging.
Artwork may be delivered to the addresses listed below.
c/o Dept. of Medical Humanities
913 N. Rutledge, Suite 1116
PO Box 9603
Springfield, IL 62794-9603
Delivery information coming soon.