Group Tours/Speakers Program
Group tours of SIU School of Medicine provide community visitors an opportunity to see our mission in action. Here are some tour options:
- Education: Tour the Medical Instructional Facility (MIF) to see the Pearson Museum, the Medical Library, the Professional Development Laboratory teaching facility, and research laboratories. The MIF is located at 801 N. Rutledge St. in Springfield.
- Research: View laboratories and hear about research advances.
- Patient Care: Visit areas in the SIU Clinics, to see the latest in medical treatments.
We ask that tours be scheduled 30 days in advance. Due to the nature of research and clinical work, there are restrictions on group size and participant age. Groups of 30 or fewer with visitors over 13 years of age are most easily accommodated.
Nearly 200 faculty and staff and many of our medical students and residents are available to speak to the community on topics related to education, medicine and science. Our expert speakers will educate - and inspire - your audience. Our speakers can tailor their presentations to meet the needs of a particular group. Possible topics include:
- Wellness and Prevention - keeping physically/mentally fit; stress relief; dangers of alcohol, smoking and drugs; etc.
- Disorders and Diseases – these topics can coincide with national health observances (cancers such as prostate, breast or lung; stroke; diabetes; etc.)
- Special Health Problems - problems of men, women, children or elderly
- Special Medical Topics - American health-care system; uninsured and underinsured Americans
- Updates at the School of Medicine – Learn about exciting new developments at the medical school and SIU HealthCare such as the Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU or St. John’s Children’s Hospital
In most instances, speakers do not seek honoraria except for special presentations and major addresses. When honoraria are offered by a group, faculty often ask that the money be contributed to the SIU Foundation to support research, student scholarships or special projects. Many groups do cover travel expenses for speaking engagements outside of Springfield.
Requests should be made at least 30 days prior to the date of an event to allow us time to match the request to a speaker.
For more information about scheduling a tour or speaker, contact Steve Sandstrom, Office of Public Relations, 545-5616 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., weekdays.