Elephant ears, corn dogs and shake-ups, oh my!
It’s Illinois State Fair time again! What’s your favorite fair food?
Consider a meal of a few of the most popular choices on the fair’s menu: a jumbo corn dog, funnel cake and a chocolate shake. At more than 1,100 calories and more than 30 grams of fat, it might be a better option to walk around fairgrounds rather than take the skyride.
SIU registered dietitian Sara Lopinski has some tips for curbing come of the extra sugar, fat and calories that come with these favorites.
- Eat a healthy, high-fiber snack before you go to take the edge off your appetite
- Choose one high calorie food and balance it with healthier options
- Share with fellow fair-goers so that you don’t feel you have to eat the entire portion
- Do some sight-seeing after eating to work off the extra calories and get some exercise
If you’re trying your best to eat healthily at the fair, Lopinski suggests looking for these options:
- Grilled chicken sandwich
- Corn on the cob
- Portabella mushroom sandwich with veggies
- Shrimp on a stick
- Fruit smoothies