Dr. Sowmy Thuppal is a Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Surgery and is a faculty at the Center for Clinical Research, SIU School of Medicine. He has 15 years of clinical research experience both in resource limited and resource sufficient settings. He has experience working with investigator initiated studies and industry sponsored clinical trials. Worked in different research positions for hospital and community based research projects. Research interests include study design and research methodology, patient-centered outcomes research, comparative effectiveness studies, cost evaluation and public health.
Education & training
MD Physician, First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russia (2001)
Clinical Internship, Christian Medical College, Vellore, India (2004)
PhD in Clinical and Translational Science (Clinical Research), Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA (2015)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Clinical Research, SIU School of Medicine, Springfield, IL, USA (2018-2019)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Nutritional Epidemiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA (2015-2017)
Fogarty Pilot Grant Fellow, Nutrition and Infectious Disease, Tufts University, MA, USA (2013-2015)
Senior Research Fellow (Clinical), National Rotavirus Surveillance Network, Indian Council for Medical research/Christian Medical College Vellore, India (2005-2008)
- Seadler B, Thuppal S, Rizvi N, Markwell S, Sawyer JD, McCullough K, Thomas M, Crabtree T,Hazelrigg SR. Clinical and Quality of Life Outcomes Following Lung Volume Reduction Surgery. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2019.
- Ruan GJ, Thuppal S, Sawyer JD, Seadler B, Markwell S, Hazelrigg SR. Compensatory Hyperhidrosis and Quality of Life Post Sympathectomy in Palmar Hyperhidrosis. Accepted for Publication. The American Surgeon, April 2019.
- Thuppal S, Markwell S, Crabtree T, Hazelrigg S. Comparison between the EQ-5D and the SF6D quality of life (QOL) questionnaires in patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) undergoing Lung Volume Reduction Surgery (LVRS). Accepted for Publication. Quality of Life Research, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-019-02123-x
- Thuppal SV, Shinyoung Jun, Alexandra Cowan and Regan Bailey. The Nutrition Status of HIV-infected US adults. Curr Dev Nutr September 2017, cdn.117.001636; DOI: https://doi.org/10.3945/cdn.117.001636
- Thuppal SV, Clemens von Schacky, William S. Harris , Katherine D. Sherif , Nigel Denby , Suzanne R. Steinbaum , Bryan Haycock 8 and Regan L. Bailey. Discrepancy between Knowledge and Perceptions of Dietary Omega-3 Fatty Acid Intake Compared with the Omega-3 Index. Nutrients 2017, 9(9), 930; doi:10.3390/nu9090930
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Christine A. Wanke, Abraham C. Ooriapdickal, Farzad Noubary, Joshua T. Cohen, Mkaya Mwamburi, Jayaprakash Muliyil, Gagandeep Kang, George M Varghese, Priscilla Rupali, Rajiv Karthik, Rajkumar Sathasivam, Peace Clarance, Susanne A. Pulimood, Dincy Peter, Leni George. Toxicity and clinical outcomes in patients with HIV on zidovudine and tenofovir based regimens: a retrospective cohort study. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, doi: 10.1093/trstmh/trv016
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Rajiv Karthik, Ooriapadical C Abraham, Christine A Wanke, Mkaya Mwamburi, Norma Terrin,Joshua T Cohen, Dilip Mathai, Jayaprakash Muliyil, Gagandeep Kang. Cost Estimation of First-Line Antiretroviral Therapy with Zidovudine/Stavudine as the Nucleoside Backbone in India: A Pilot Study. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care, March/April 2015, 14 (2): 180-4
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Patel T, Sarkar R, Broor S, Chitambar SD, Krishnan T, Arora R and Kang G. Direct costs of hospitalization for rotavirus gastroenteritis in different health facilities in India. Indian J Med Res 136, July 2012: 68-73
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Ramani S, Sarkar R, Arumugam R, Warier JP, Moses PD, Simon A, Agarwal I, Bose A, Arora R, Kang G. Severity of rotavirus gastroenteritis in Indian children requiring hospitalization. Vaccine 30S. 2012: A167– A172
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Natarajan SK, Ramachandran A, Sarkar R, Moses PD, Simon A, Agarwal I, Christopher S, Kang G . Nitric oxide production in acute gastroenteritis in Indian children. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg (2009), Aug;103(8):849-51
- Thuppal V. Sowmyanarayanan, Mukhopadhya A, Gladstone BP, Sarkar R, Kang G. (2008) Investigation of a hepatitis A outbreak in children in an urban slum in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, using geographic information systems. Indian J Med Res 128, 32-37
Orthopedic Surgery Presents 2020 Faculty Investigator Award - Dr. Thuppal
Congratulations, Sowmyanarayanan Thuppal, Ph.D., MD! Dr. Thuppal was presented with the 2020 Faculty Investigator Award from the Division of Orthopedic Surgery. This inaugural award acknowledges