Residency Applicants - Carbondale
U.S. ACGME and International M.D. Applicants - Interview dates: October 4 - January 28 2022
Application Deadline: January 1, 2022
Applications accepted through ERAS Only - Go to ERAS
Please be sure to use the following program information when applying:
- SIU CARBONDALE-IL
- Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) Program (294812000)
- SIU Memorial Hospital of Carbondale (59146)
- SIU CARBONDALE-IL
International Graduate Information
The SIU Carbondale Family Medicine Residency Program welcomes applications from US and International Medical Graduates. We appreciate the diversity various training experiences and cultural backgrounds provide our "family" of Resident Physicians.
In order to simplify your application process, we have developed certain guidelines that help us to maintain the excellent academic standards we have set for our training program.
Applicants must have:
- Graduated from medical school within 5 years.
- One year hands-on clinical experience in the U.S.
- Passed both Step 1/Level 1, Step 2/Level 2
- Three letters of recommendation from those who supervised your education and clinical activities.
Salary and Benefits
Sports Medicine Fellow
- Vacation, sick or other - 20 calendar days
- Conference - 5 calendar days
- $10 per day food allowance
- Health insurance on first day of employment
- Professional liability coverage through Carbondale Memorial Hospital
- Free parking
- Reimbursement for ACLS/NRP/PALS/ATLS/ALSO, after successful completion
- Reimbursement for MD/DO board exam, after successful completion
- Reimbursement for Step 3 and Level 3, after successful completion
- Laptop Computer
For any questions please contact Keyoina Burkes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Medicine Residency Program
The SIU Family Medicine Residency Program, Carbondale offers its residents an unopposed (6-6-6), Osteopathicaly Recognized residency staffed by full-time medical faculty at the SIU Center for Family Medicine Clinic. Our graduates obtain exposure and are well trained to practice primary care in a multitude of settings: critical care, obstetrical care, newborn care, assisting in general surgery, and managing in a humane and competent manner a range of family medicine pathology.
The SIU Family Medicine Residency Program, Carbondale, sponsored by Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, is affiliated with Memorial Hospital of Carbondale (MHC), a secondary-level community hospital serving Carbondale and the surrounding population. MHC offers residents the ability to train at a Level-2 Trauma, Level-2 NICU, Mother Baby Friendly, and open ICU facility. With Carbondale being in close proximity to St. Louis, MO (100 miles away), tertiary care is also a viable option for patient care.
Graduate physicians entering the SIU Family Medicine Residency Program, Carbondale since its inception in 1974 have come from medical schools throughout the United States and abroad. Residents completing the program have entered a variety of practices, including solo and group practices, hospitalist medicine, emergency department medicine, and faculty positions at residency programs. Several residents have gone on to further their education in ED and Sports Medicine fellowships. The local region has a strong demand for family physicians: many residents have remained in Southern Illinois.
Residents at our Program have the opportunity to mentor and educate a variety of medical learners. SIU Family Medicine Residency Program, Carbondale, has a close collaboration with the SIU Physician Assistant Program, is a clinical core site for ATSU-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, and sponsors first year medical students from SIU School of Medicine.
Didactics are scheduled every Wednesday afternoon from 12:30 – 5:00pm.
Quarterly (Months with five Wednesdays): Residents have a “Fun Day” to help promote wellness and team comraderies’.
A non-inclusive list of educational conferences provided throughout residency is as follows:
- Family Medicine Board Review
- FCM Grand Rounds
- Journal Club
- Balint Group
- Resident Wellness Discussion
- Chart Rounds / Resident Presentations
- PICO presentations
- Population Health / Clinical Data Integration
- Practice Management
- Resident Meetings
- OMT workshops
- Faculty/Community Physician Presentations
- Procedural Workshops
- Sports Medicine Topics
- Ethics Training (Yearly)
- Sleep/Fatigue/BurnOut (Yearly)