Join Our Team
Marketing Associate - Creative Services Manager
This Marketing Associate position serves as the lead manager of graphic design and creative services, and is responsible for managing successful implementation of visual strategies which include print, online, video and multimedia activities. This position also assumes broader account management duties for marketing and communications strategies of specific clinical and educational departments. This position has responsibility for many design aspects of the SIU School of Medicine & SIU Medicine ad campaigns (designing and buying), and clinical location exterior branding. The incumbent must develop visual themes and tactics to support SIU School of Medicine & Medicine branding, marketing, and advertising through print, electronic and other media. This individual will have regular interaction with SIU School of Medicine & SIU Medicine leadership, clinical department administrators, physicians, and external vendors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent in this position and is not all- inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities. Demonstrates by actions, commitment to the mission and the behavioral standards of SIU School of Medicine. Provides excellent service to both internal and external customers through collaboration and partnership; compassion and respect; integrity and accountability; diversity and inclusion; as well as continuous learning and improvement.
Graphic Design and Visual Branding – 50%
Effectively translates written and verbal concept to marketing products for departments such as brochures; fliers/posters; marketing materials; print ads; newsletters; outdoor ads or signage; email; and audio-visual productions. Develops design concepts and themes. Designs/produces timely artwork. Manages the on-time, high quality printing, and/or installation of the final product. Leads the creation, integration and execution of marketing materials, which include:
- Manage the creation and design of marketing materials to be integrated in ad campaigns and online presence plan to ensure consistency across the enterprise;
- Strategically creates graphic elements and messaging for website and social media
- Manage the development of the SIU Medicine & School of Medicine ad campaigns;
- Manages the production of all digital signage for both patient and learner spaces.
- Oversees the creative work of marketing and communications employees as needed to support the department - may include photographers, graphic designers, video contractors, interns or extra help as needed. Includes hiring, training and regularly providing feedback as a direct supervisor
- Manages external marketing consulting partners in the design of ad campaigns and brand assets.
Account Management – 20%
Principal account manager for all marketing and communications strategies for assigned clinical and educational departments, including all strategy (beyond graphic design) for assigned accounts. This work includes budget planning, creative and message strategy, development of timelines and full execution of campaign assets for the department.
Video and Digital Signage – 10%
Manages and directs the successful production of videos that support SIU School of Medicine and SIU Medicine strategies, branding, and marketing. This includes the creation of video content for websites, social media and the following:
- Physician highlight videos (i.e., Website profile videos)
- Cross-marketing of SIU services throughout all departments
- Manages all internal and external video producers and workflows
Brand Guide Development – 10%
Oversee and maintain the integrity of the SIU Medicine and SIU School of Medicine brand, including ongoing changes to the brand guide and departmental branding efforts. Oversees the team coordinating the branding on all promotional items through the SIU store, and other promotional items ordered outside the official store. Also builds relationships with other vendors to ensure SIU Marketing approves all orders for brand integrity.
- Provides image design and production support to PowerPoint presentations and video/ electronic productions.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with leadership and staff at SIU Office of Marketing, Communications and Engagement, print shop, SIU clinical departments, hospital partners, and external vendors.
- Trains OMC staff members in multi-media production techniques, design and marketing strategies as needed.
Space Branding – 10%
Oversees the branding strategy of all external clinical and educational signage including outdoor advertising and all location signage and wayfinding planning in coordination with the facilities managers and administrators for various locations throughout SIU Medicine system.
Salary range is $ 56,000-62,000 annually, with a full benefit package.
Graphic Design Associate
The function of this position is to serve as a graphic design associate in the Office of Marketing and Communications at SIU School of Medicine in Springfield and provide assistance in planning, designing and executing graphic design assignments and assisting in the development of animation, video and digital products for SIU Medicine and SIU School of Medicine.
This position reports to the Creative Services Manager and Senior Graphic Designer, who reports to the Director of the Office of Marketing and Communications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following information is intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent in this position and is not all- inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities.
Demonstrates, by actions, commitment to the mission and the behavioral standards of SIU School of Medicine. Provides excellent service to both internal and external customers through collaboration and partnership; compassion and respect; integrity and accountability; diversity and inclusion; as well as continuous learning and improvement.
Incumbent produces graphic artwork that may be used for informational, educational, or promotional purposes in such media as print, video, displays, online and other digital formats.
Employees at this level perform skilled design tasks involving the preparation and production of complex graphic artwork.
- Performs assigned skilled graphic design work, such as
- Determining project objectives in detail and preparing specifications (methods to be used and equipment needed) and cost estimates
- Designing and preparing final production ready artwork for a variety of media including video projects
- Specifying photographic-work needs for execution by photographers and videographers (such as subject scale in relation to the frame or type of lighting preferred) or performing photographic work personally
- Produces final graphic images from electronic and non-electronic formats for video, digital animation, motion graphics, PowerPoint slide production, print, digital platforms, websites or other graphic manipulations
- Selects and manipulates type for use in artwork (such as body copy, headline types, and typographical special effects)
- Assists printers and press and pre-press operators with work in progress to ensure specified methods are used
- Performs other related marketing and communications duties as assigned.
Any one or any combination that equals thirty-six (36) months from the categories below:
- credit for progressively more advanced college or art-school course work that would lead to a major in graphic/visual arts communication and/or design
- 60 semester hours equals 12 months
- 90 semester hours equals 24 months
- 120 semester hours or a Bachelor's Degree equals 36 months
- work experience and/or on-the-job training that provided knowledge of progressively more advanced, generally accepted principles, theories, practices, and methods used in graphic designs and their applications to visual communications problems that are/is comparable to the training provided in the programs such as graphic/visual arts communication and/or design
A Master's Degree in visual design, with emphasis in visual arts communication or a closely related field, meets all minimum acceptable qualifications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Knowledge of advanced drawing, and multifaceted design techniques.
- Knowledge of printing and production issues and techniques.
- Knowledge of psychology of colors, and ability to follow brand and color guides.
- Ability to perform other difficult technical procedures (such as designing and preparing final production ready graphics).
- Ability to develop cost estimates and project objectives.
- Knowledge of the video production process and integration with video, animation and motion graphic needs.
- Experience working in in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects).
Salary range is $35,000-$40,000 annually with a full benefit package.