International Medical School Graduates
Physicians who are enrolled in a SIU School of Medicine residency or fellowship program, who are not United States citizens must have one of the following:
- permanent resident status
- appropriate visa for graduate medical education
- appropriate employment authorization documentation.
SIU School of Medicine accepts exchange visitors sponsored through the Exchange Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). For information regarding J-1 Visas, the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program and application process, please visit the following links:
- General Information about the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP)
- Basic Requirement of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
- Online J-1 Visa Application Overview
- Pre-Arrival Information
- ECFMG Application Tips
Illinois Medical License
You will need to provide a copy of your ECFMG certificate as part of your Illinois medical license application.