International Medical School Graduates

Employment authorization

Physicians who are enrolled in a SIU School of Medicine residency or fellowship program, who are not United States citizens must have one of the following:  

  • permanent resident status
  • appropriate visa for graduate medical education
  • appropriate employment authorization documentation.


SIU School of Medicine accepts exchange visitors sponsored through the Exchange Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).   For information regarding J-1 Visas, the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program and application process, please visit the following links:

Illinois Medical License

You will need to provide a copy of your ECFMG certificate as part of your Illinois medical license application.