- Director/Coordinator Tools
- Contact Us
May 13, 2020
May 9, 2019
March 15, 2019
About Graduate Medical Education
SIU School of Medicine was established in 1970 to optimize the health of the people of central and southern Illinois through education, patient care, research and service to the community. For 50 years SIU has emphasized teaching and achieved national recognition as an innovator in medical education.
Our institutional aim is to train physicians in a variety of specialties who are well equipped to practice in small urban and rural communities. Our values, as articulated in the 2020-2025 SIU SOM Strategic plan, are that we:
- are committed to an environment of discovery in which innovation, scientific inquiry, application of knowledge and creative professional achievement flourish.
- are committed to excellence and continuous improvement in all we do.
- collaborate and partner with the community.
- strive to be a just, fair, unbiased, and anti-racist organization
- strive for equity in our relationships, hiring practices, teaching, research, access to care, delivery of care and partnerships.
- create compassionate and healing environments for all.
Graduates of SIU residency and fellowship programs will be confident, caring and passionate physicians who will succeed and carry our values, and our commitment to social accountability, wherever they choose to practice.
Our GME programs offer the best of both possible worlds – considerable medical sophistication in a small urban or rural atmosphere. All of our training programs prosper from SIU SOM state of the art educational philosophy, research, patient care facilities and community collaboration to provide outstanding preparation in the scientific, clinical and humanistic aspects of medicine. Strong affiliations with multiple hospitals and regional medical centers within a largely rural population base creates a synergy of primary, specialty and tertiary care training experiences. An emphasis on personal growth and supported autonomy prepares graduates for the future and to function in any setting.
Donate to SIU
Help us find a cure. Honor a loved one. Every gift counts.Donate Today