Springfield Based Resident and Fellow information
2023-2024 Resident benefits for Springfield based Residents & Fellows
PAID LEAVE (Vacation / Sick / Bereavement / Education)
All trainees (residents and fellows) will be granted the following paid leave annually, however Specialty Board requirements may restrict all of the paid leave from being used per contract year. See the specific program Leave Policy.
- 3 weeks of vacation
- 2 weeks of sick leave
- 1 week of educational leave
- 3 calendar days of bereavement leave
PARENTAL, CAREGIVER OR MEDICAL LEAVE
The resident may be permitted to take up to twelve (12) weeks per year of family and medical leave (includes paid and unpaid leave) in accordance with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993, state law, and the policies of the employing Affiliated Hospital. Should the reason for leave meet eligibility under FMLA, paid leave will run concurrently with FML.
Parental, Caregiver or Medical Leave (PCML) will be granted upon request to all residents (including birth and non-birth parents) for the birth of a child or placement of a child with the resident for adoption or foster care (“parental leave”); care of an immediate family member with a serious health condition (“caregiver leave”); or the resident’s own serious health condition (“medical leave”). At least once during the duration of the training program the resident will be afforded a minimum of six (6) weeks of paid time away from training for purposes of PCML, while preserving at least one (1) week of additional paid time away from training, without extending training, in accordance with the existing policies of the employing Affiliated Hospital and the individual specialty Board requirements.
See the GMEC Leaves of Absence Policy and the program specific leave policy for more details on leave time.
Each program will have work hours optimal to the care of patients and in compliance with the general and special requirements of the ACGME.
PARKING / SLEEP ROOMS/ MEALS
- Free parking
- Secured sleeping rooms are furnished for all trainees who are on in-house call and nap rooms are available to residents/fellows at both hospitals.
- Trainees have access to food twenty-four hours per day at both hospitals.
Residents and fellows are employed by either Springfield Memorial Hospital or HSHS St. John’s Hospital, and are provided benefits through their employing hospital.
- Health insurance is provided at a minimal charge; an optional family plan can be purchased.
- Dental insurance is provided for the resident/fellow and family for a small fee.
- A Vision Plan is offered.
- Group Term Life insurance is provided at no cost; additional coverage may be purchased.
- Long Term Disability insurance is provided at no cost.
- 403(b) Retirement Plan is offered.
PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
Residents and fellows are provided professional liability coverage. It will provide legal defense and protection against awards from claims reported or filed during and after the completion of the training program if the alleged acts or omissions of the trainee were within the scope of the program.
*Programs may provide additional varying benefits, reimbursements, or incentives.