Neurology Residency Program at SIU
Program Director: Dr. Ahmad El Kouzi, MD
Assistant Program Director: Abdullah Al Sawaf, MD
Medical Education Program Coordinator: Carolyn L. Higgason
P.O. Box 19643, Springfield, IL 62794-9643
- 4-Year Program (PGY-2 match in Neurology assures PGY-1 position)
- Comprehensive Inpatient/Outpatient Experiences - broad range of clinical problems encountered
- State-Of-The-Art Clinical Programs
- Tertiary Care Programs In: Alzheimer Disease, Epilepsy, Movement Disorders, Headache, Neuromuscular Disease, Neurorehabilitation and Stroke
- Structured program in basic neurosciences with additional experience in neuroradiology, neuropathology, and clinical neurophysiology
- High faculty-to-resident ratio for close interaction & frequent informal teaching sessions
- Faculty actively involved in clinical & basic research -
- Many of our residents have published articles during their residency
- (See “Resident Presentations & Publications” section)
- Our residents consistently achieve board certification.
- Residents in the program consistently score above the national average on the AAN Inservice exam
- Rotations include: Inpatient Service, Stroke Service, Neuro-Critical Care, Night Float, Subspecialty Clinics, Neuroradiology, Psychiatry, Neuropathology, EEG, EMG, Pediatric Neurology, Ophthalmology, Chief Rotation-PGY-4, and Research.
- Subspecialty Clinic Rotation includes: Alzheimer and memory, Neuromuscular, Movement Disorder, Neurorehab/Pain, Epilepsy, Stroke, Botox, Neurosurgery, Muscular Dystrophy, and General Neurology.