How to apply
- Complete a PA Program application using CASPA.
- Have earned Grade Point Averages (GPA) of 3.2 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher, on the following: overall coursework and science coursework. CASPA calculates these two GPAs.
- Have an earned GPA of 3.2 or higher on program prerequisites as calculated by SIU.
- Complete required prerequisite coursework by the end of the Fall term prior to matriculation with a grade of "B" or higher. Only one prerequisite course, plus medical terminology may be completed during the Spring Semester before matriculation.
- Have evidence of significant health care experience and PA shadowing and/or a combination of volunteer, observation and PA shadowing experience.
- Once the applicant is invited by the program for an interview, they must then apply to the SIU Graduate School and pay the non-refundable application fee. Create an account and login to the online application system, select 'MSPA' and the appropriate summer semester before you enter information. Do not upload transcripts, essays, personal statements, resumes, or reference letters to this supplemental application. Those should be submitted to CASPA.
Important dates to consider:
Late April - Application process begins (See the CASPA information and help center for more)
Late May - Applicant file reviews begin. Interviews will be scheduled at a later date.
Nov. 1 - Deadline for submitted, completed, and verified PA Program application documents. The PA Program utilizes a rolling admissions process. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The most academically and experientially qualified students are invited to participate in formal interview sessions. Selection of candidates for admission into the PA Program is made by committee review following applicants’ interviews. Preference is given to those applicants with a complete application packet (see list below), evaluated transcripts, healthcare experience in conjunction with shadowing a certified, licensed PA-C, exceptional academic performance, and strong references.
Please be advised that border state students do not receive a tuition decrease. Therefore they pay a higher tuition rate. Establishing residency to receive the in-state tuition rate can be applied for after six (6) months of residency in Illinois with a form and certain requirements.
For more information, contact the Program/Student Advisor at (618) 453-5527 or at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu.
Please follow this checklist to assure completion of all steps.
Complete the following as you make an application to the PA Program. Only complete, verified applications will be considered.
- Apply online (per CASPA) between the designated date in late April and the published deadline of November 1. CASPA applications must be verified by the published deadline (Nov. 1 of the application cycle) to be considered in the admissions process. Applications verified after that date will not be accepted for consideration of admission.
- Include your resume in the CASPA application.
- Once you have been invited by the program for an interview, you must then apply to the SIU Graduate School and pay the non-refundable application fee. Do not upload transcripts, essays, personal statements, resumes, or reference letters to this supplemental application. Those should be submitted to CASPA.
- Contact the SIU PA Program Advisor at (618) 453-5527 or paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu for any updates and/or any additional questions. Application materials will not be accepted after the published deadline.