Student Medical Insurance Plan
Student Medical Insurance Coverage: Student Health Services website.
Student Health Services
374 East Grand Avenue - MC 6740
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Springfield Medical Students:
Medical students located in Springfield should contact the SIU Center for Family and Community Medicine.
SIU Center for Family and Community Medicine:
20 North 4th Street
Springfield, IL 62704
Schedule Appointments: 217-545-8000
Dr. Rachel Rahman and Dr. Ankit Sharma are the designated medical student doctors.
Billing Questions: Contact Robin McCabe at 217-757-8123.
To Make Appointments: Contact the Call Center at 217-545-8000.
Triage Nurse: For questions not related to regular scheduling or billing - Michaela Blackburn 217-747-1371
Hours: Mondy & Wednesday: 8:00 a.m.- 6:30 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
After Hours: Call the answering service at 217-545-8000 and ask for the Center for the Family Medicine doctor on call.
Student Medical Benefit Extended Care Fee Refund
- If you are covered by another insurance carrier and desire a refund of the Student Medical Benefit Extended Care fee, an application for a refund must be submitted during the first two weeks of the Fall semester and Spring semester.
- The application must be made EACH semester that a refund is desired. However, if you are covered by another insurance carrier, maintaining the SIUC Student Medical Extended Care Plan may further reduce the costs of claims to you.
- Petition to Waive
- Waiving the student health insurance plan does not exclude access to the Carbondale on-campus Student Health Center.
Springfield Student Health Insurance
- The SIU Family & Community Medicine Clinic is your primary care provider.
- Medical students pay two fees for healthcare.
- The first fee covers your primary care, including labs and simple x-rays.
- The second fee covers referrals, ER visits, and more expensive tests. The second fee (extended care fee) may be refundable if you show proof of other insurance coverage.
Primary Care: Dr. Ankit Sharma and Dr. Rachel Rahman are your primary contacts at SIU Medicine Center for Family and Community Medicine. Dr. Careyana Brenham is the Director.
- To schedule an appointment, call 217-545-8000, and be sure to identify yourself as a medical student.
- Another student or resident should not evaluate you unless you waive that right.
- You will have to pay the co-pay of $10.00 to go to SIU Medicine Center for Family and Community Medicine.
- If a provider orders labs or simple x-rays, you should get these at Memorial Medical Center and show them your SIU School of Medicine Student Photo Identification Card.
- Specialty Care, Emergency Room Visits, and Expensive Tests: To have any of these paid for, you must have prior approval. If approved, there is a $100.00 per year deductible you must pay. After that, your insurance will cover 80% of the agreed cost. You will be responsible for the remaining 20%. All bills should be directed to SIU Family and Community Medicine.
Needle Sticks & Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure
- During work hours: From 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., immediately call the ID Nurse at 217-545-8970, pager # 217-492-2446, located at MMC in Room A474.
- After hours, Weekends, or Holidays: Call the SIU Answering Service at 217-545-5880 and have them page the ID physician on call.
The following exposure forms also need to be completed:
Mental Health Counseling
SIU Behavioral/Mental Health Service at SIU Family and Community Medicine - both mental and health counseling available.
Other providers will also be available soon. Dr. Constance, Dr. Rahmen, and Dr. Sharma are all available depending on your comfort level to assist you in accessing mental health providers.
You may schedule an appointment by calling 217-545-8000.