Budget additions

The Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act requires each institution awarding federal funds to students to establish a single student budget. The Amendments also permit financial aid administrators, on the basis of adequate documentation, to make certain adjustments, on a case-by-case basis, to the cost of attendance or the values of data items required to calculate the expected student contribution for the current academic year.

Requests for an adjustment to the cost of attendance (budget adjustment) or student contribution must be made in writing and submitted to the Springfield Financial Aid Office (FAO). Budget adjustments must be made on a Request for Adjustment to Student Budget form, accompanied by proper documentation (see documentation requirements listed under each type of adjustment). 

There are some expenses that cannot be included in the standard student budget as items to be funded with federal financial assistance. Students should anticipate these types of expenses and develop a plan to pay for such costs. 

  • Automobile payments
  • Consumer debt
  • Off-campus clerkships and electives
  • Residency application and interview travel costs
  • Relocation costs related to the residency program
  • Legal fees
  • The cost incurred before matriculation
  • Moving expenses
  • Veterinary costs

Students with consumer and/or automobile debt should have an alternative source of funds (savings, family support, spousal income) to pay for these costs. 

The following guidelines will be used in making adjustments to student budgets and/or student contributions. Please keep in mind that while adjustments increase the amount of aid a student is eligible to receive, they also increase the overall debt level. Students who have expenses or adjustments not specifically listed here should consult with the Financial Aid Office. 

If approved, the additional loan amount will be credited to your Bursar’s Statement of Account and pay any charges due. The Bursar’s Office will process any credit balance on your account and a refund will be issued. The amount refunded will be less than the amount of your increase because loan fees will reduce the loan. It also could be less if a portion of the loan is used to pay charges due on your account.

Adjustments to student budgets (budget additions)

Complete the Request for Adjustment to Student Budget form available on the SIU-SOM Student Affairs website. Budget adjustments can only be made for the current academic year using current-year expenses.

Adjustments for dependent children

Students with dependent children may request additional funds to assist with expenses. Proof of the child’s date of birth may be required. Students who do not have a working spouse may request additional living expenses for each child by completing a Request for Dependent Care Allowance form.

Daycare expenses

Students who are single parents or have a working spouse may request daycare expenses. The student should complete the Dependent Daycare Expense form and have the daycare provider sign off on the form. Documentation of payment may also be required (canceled checks, receipts, etc.).

PLEASE NOTE: In the case of married students where only one spouse is a medical student, the student may only request daycare or living expenses, not both. If both spouses are medical students, only one of the students may request both the living and daycare expenses.

Adjustments for Necessary Medical, Dental and Optical Expenses - Students who have necessary medical, dental or optical expenses not covered by insurance may request a budget addition. Budget additions for dental and optical expenses will only be allowed for necessary treatment. A letter from the dental provider stating that the work is a necessity will be required for any major dental services. Statements showing the initial date and type of service performed and a statement showing the amount covered by insurance must accompany the request. If the medical expenditure occurs during the summer semester, students should contact the FAO to arrange for special handling of their expenses. Because students are assigned to Health Service in Carbondale and the Family Practice Center in Springfield, documentation as to why services were performed elsewhere will be required. Please note that all medical documentation is kept confidential and stored in a separate file.

Transportation adjustments

NO budget adjustments will be made for car payments.

Students with significant expenses related to the repair of their automobiles may receive an increase to their budget. The standard student budget includes a component for transportation. Students who experience and pay for automobile expenses over and above the existing transportation budget allowance amount may submit paid receipts to the FAO for consideration. The expenses must be paid within the academic year for which the loan is being processed. Please note that documentation showing that the student has already depleted the annual transportation allocation must be provided.  Gasoline receipts must clearly state that gasoline was purchased. Canceled checks or credit card statements to service stations will not be accepted. Transportation adjustments will only be made for the car the student is using for his/her own transportation. Additional transportation funding will be applied for through the GRAD PLUS loan program. All receipts must be attached to the Request for Adjustment to Student Budget form.

Adjustments for income tax paid on scholarships

Students who receive service-based scholarships who are required to pay taxes on the entire amount of scholarship proceeds (tuition/fees and stipend) may receive a budget addition for the amount of taxes paid. A copy of their federal tax return and a canceled check, if the student is required to pay additional taxes, are required for documentation. For those students whose taxes are deducted directly from their stipend checks, a copy of their federal tax return form will be required for documentation.

Adjustments for special needs

Students with expenses related to a disability will receive a budget addition equal to those expenses related to the disability not covered by other assistance. The Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) will be contacted to confirm that these expenses cannot be paid by DORS.  A signed, itemized statement from the student with attached bills or other documentation is required for the evaluation. Students who have other special health needs need to make an appointment with the FAO to discuss their needs.

Adjustments for step 2CK and 2CS

Junior and senior students may add the cost of the Step 2CK and 2CS examinations to their budget. A copy of the check to pay the registration fee or a statement indicating the fee has been paid by credit card, as well as the Request for Adjustment to Student Budget form, must be submitted for documentation.

Only adjustments for the current academic year can be made to the current year’s budget. Keep in mind adjustments must be resubmitted for future years.